Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s long-term, strategic shipbuilding partner for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. As a direct result of this work, Seaspan Shipyards is delivering on the promise of ships built in Canada, by Canadians, while creating jobs and rebuilding our domestic shipbuilding industry.
2021 is set to be an exciting year at Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver BC, as we commence full rate construction of the Royal Canadian Navy’s 174m long Joint Support Ship (JSS) – the largest ship ever built in Canada! We are expanding our steel focused skilled trades teams significantly and we are currently keen to speak with Red Seal Steel Fabricators / Shipfitters about this exciting opportunity. We are actively recruiting for immediate start dates now.
As a Shipfitter, you will perform a variety of tasks throughout the production process, while upholding Seaspan’s Core Values of Safety, Care and Efficiency. You will have an opportunity to develop new skills including specialized steel fabrication techniques specific to the shipbuilding industry that use some of the most state-of-the-art shipbuilding equipment and processes in the world.
If you are interested in being part of the regeneration of the Canadian shipbuilding industry and secure steady well-paid work spanning the coming decade, then please send us your application today!
Please only send your resume if you are a Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator OR have 5 years fabricating experience at a shipyard. All other resumes cannot not be considered for this position.
All candidates must show proof of:
- Metal Fabricator or Boilermaker Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement; or a Recognized Equivalent Provincial Trades Qualification; or a Recognized Equivalent International Trade Qualification
- Minimum of 30 Months Documented Metal Fabrication Experience in the shipbuilding industry
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- CWB all position FCAW Tacking Ticket preferred
- Marine Fitter Endorsement or 5 years shipbuilding experience in a new construction shipyard preferred
- Comprehend and follow written and spoken directions and work in a safe & efficient manner
- Good communication skills both written and verbal in the English language
- Ability to work in a team environment or individually with a positive attitude
- Demonstrated proficiency reading and interpreting blueprints and drawings
- Demonstrates proficiency at layout and fabrication of metal structural parts such as plates, bulkheads, and frames
- Demonstrates proficiency at aligning fabricated parts using jacks, turnbuckles, and fairing tools
- Must be able to use a variety of tools and measuring devices
- Must be able to work in a construction environment involving confined spaces, working at heights, physical labour and various weather conditions
- Must be able to be qualified to wear a respirator
- Must be able to work all shifts
Marine & Shipbuilders Local 506 offers an excellent health, welfare & pension package after the completion of 480 hours.
If you are interested in future opportunities, please apply online today.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
By applying, you agree that Seaspan may share your resume with our Union partner, Marine and Shipbuilders Union Local 506.
If you are experiencing technical issues, email email@example.com with a copy of your resume.
Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted