Registered Nurse (ONA), Freeport Hospital Site – Grand River Hospital
Specialized Mental Health (Inpatient Adult and Geriatric Programs)
Permanent Full-Time & Part-Time, Unscheduled Part Time & Temporary Opportunities Available
Grand River Hospital (GRH) is Waterloo Region’s largest hospital, located in Kitchener, Ontario. With over 600 beds, GRH has 15 clinical programs and services and provides patient-centered care to more than 775,000 residents in the Region of Waterloo and surrounding communities. The hospital is conveniently located close to major routes and highways.
Why Work With Us?
We are looking for passionate individuals to help us achieve our vision of providing exceptional care and contributing to a healthy community. Grow your career at Waterloo Region’s largest hospital and be part of a progressive organization full of great opportunities with a culture that values compassion, innovation, and a positive attitude. GRH is a place where you can truly make a difference – one patient at a time. At GRH, you are essential.
Job Summary & Qualifications
Hours of Work – 12 Hour Shifts
Offering person-centred care, guided by recovery principles, the Registered Nurse promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program. Specialized Mental Health is a 50-bed inpatient program offering exciting opportunities to registered nurses interested in starting or developing a career in Mental Health. Full paid orientation is provided & educational support is available.
The Registered Nurse provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care working within an interdisciplinary team with individuals experiencing psychiatric and mental health issues. The patient population includes those with a severe and persistent mental illness and those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA).
In this position, the incumbent will be required to work with COVID positive patients when assigned. Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- 3+ years’ experience in Mental Health & Addictions Nursing
- Certification (CNA), Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing preferred, or willingness to obtain certification.
- Post diploma preparation, relevant to Psychiatric and Mental Health nursing preferred.
- Advanced de-escalation, Code White training preferred (training will be provided)
- Basic Rescuer, CPR
- Working knowledge of psychiatric and mental health disorders and related psychiatric/ psychosocial interventions and treatment models
- An understanding of the philosophy and principles of Recovery
- Working knowledge of current best practices related to treatment of Severely Mentally Ill persons.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in administration and/or monitoring of psychotropic medications
- Excellent interviewing skills (individual/group)
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills
- Strong skills in biopsychosocial assessments, care planning, crisis plans, psychiatric nursing interventions and complete outcome evaluation for individual care.
- Demonstrated ability to provide in depth mental health assessments, risk assessments, mental status examinations, and development of crisis, and discharge plans
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act and Community Treatment Order Legislation, Privacy Act, Health Care Consent Act, and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of Community Resources preferred
- Strong consultation skills with Physicians, Community therapists, Support workers and families.
- Ability to work independently with consultation from multidisciplinary team members
Why Should You Apply?
- Great Pension Plans
- Employee and Family Assistance Programs
- Growth and Promotion opportunities across clinical and corporate program and service areas
- Educational and Training Opportunities, Tuition Assistance Program, Health Services Library, Leadership Academy, Edge Learning Courses
- GRH Social Club and discounted prices for movies, family events, tickets to attractions, etc.
- Other community discounts and access to opportunities as a GRH health care worker