As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Director of Nursing and in collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Team, is responsible for providing a leadership role in the organization by supervising, implementing, and evaluating the Pioneer Ridge Home for the Aged’s operations and clinical programs.
- Oversees the delivery of care and services to all customers, ensuring residents are receiving the right care at the right time, in the right place and by the right caregiver.
- Ensures that care is delivered appropriately and that Pioneer Ridge’s standards of quality care are adhered to in all areas.
- In collaboration with Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) , the multidisciplinary team, resident and substitute decision makers, coordinates ongoing care and services for care plans that meet the individual needs of each resident including preventative, therapeutic and rehabilitative aspects of care.
- Implements collaborative practice with the RPNs and is readily available for consultation and to assume care if required due to an increase in acuity or complexity.
- Applies nursing knowledge, skills and judgment, according to professional standards when completing maintaining all documentation and health records.
- Participates in achieving the Pioneer Ridge's strategic plan and long term goals as they pertain to quality care and services. Ensures that all resident care and services are congruent with the Pioneer Ridge’s mission, vision and value statement.
- Promotes resident and relationship–centered care consistent with regulations and best practices while respecting and ensuring sensitivity to spiritual, cultural and ethnic aspects of a resident’s life.
- Provides leadership and guidance while utilizing the nursing process for prioritizing and maintaining standards of quality and individualized resident care. Exemplifies the leader role through skilled communication with all customers and effective management of health care resources.
- Provides consultation and surveillance on infection risks and in collaboration with the clinical team provides ongoing education on risk assessment, prevention and control strategies.
- In collaboration with the administrative team maintains an effective quality and risk management system that ensure legislative regulations and standards are met.
- Participates in all Quality Practice Committee processes including championing mandatory resident care programs as required.
- Monitors and ensures staff adherence to all Pioneer Ridge Home for the Aged’s policies, procedures, guidelines and regulations and provides prompt follow-up or notification to administration when there is non-compliance.
- Shares knowledge and provides mentoring, coaching and role modeling with respect to the standards and regulations for nursing care. Supports a learning environment by sharing knowledge, skills and abilities in order to assist other staff to reach full potential and work to full scope of practice.
- Seeks out and utilizes current research and Best Practices.
- Participates in the staff performance management process within the nursing section and provides observation and feedback to others section managers.
- In the absence of schedulers, ensures adequate staffing in the nursing section.
- Ensures ongoing assessment and evaluation of operational needs and deploys staff as required to meet resident needs and services.
- In collaboration with nursing administration, Best Practice Coordinator and Education Coordinator participates in effective team development including- orientation, in-services and on the job instruction as determined by the learning needs of the nursing team members.
- In the absence of Nursing Administration and in the role of the PIC (person in charge), ensures the safety and security of residents.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Current certificate of registration as a Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Experience in Long Term Care or gerontology
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must have successfully undergone a "two step" tuberculosis skin test within the 12 months prior to employment
- Must undergo a successful Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Must maintain certificate of registration – general class – from the College of Nurses of Ontario;