Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Acute/Emergency/Long Term Care - Training OpportunityWork Site: Combined Medical-Surgical Nursing, R.W. Large Memorial Hospital - Bella Bella, BCStatus: Regular Full Time - TrainingStart Date:
Full-Time Training: September 2020
Online prerequisites (if required) April 2020Salary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: 0730-1930/1000-2200/1930-0730, with rotating days offReference#: 123348-cye
Please note that a cover letter and resume are required to apply for this specialty training opportunity. Should there be insufficient qualified candidates available for the above position, VCH may fund post basic training education.
- Online prerequisites (if required) Theory 1 & Dysrhythmia: April – September, 2020 (exact dates TBD)
- Full-Time Training & Practicum: September to December, 2020 (exact dates TBD) which requires full-time attendance.
- Travel to lower mainland required during November/December 2020 (exact dates TBD)
Eligibility for post basic training education is restricted to applicants with a minimum of 1 year recent acute medical or surgical RN experience. Preference to applicants with high acuity training and/or experience.
Candidates accepting this training opportunity agree to remain with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) as a regular status nurse in the area of nursing applicable to the education program for which they are hired for at least 18 months subsequent to completing training.
This will ensure that candidates are able to consolidate and apply skills in the specialty area that VCH has supported and funded candidates to complete. In the event that a candidate leaves the area of nursing applicable to the education program for which they were hired or VCH in under 18 months, VCH will seek to recover the cost of the program.
Applicants must successfully complete the post basic education prior to working in the Department.
Funding will be 100% of wages, tuition and books during the training program.
Travel expenses reimbursed according to VCH policy. Upon successful completion of the specialty nursing training, you will be required to work fulltime for the first two months to ensure you are able to consolidate and apply your new skills in this specialty area.
Come work as a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Combined Medical-Surgical unit at R.W. Large Memorial Hospital in Bella Bella, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse in the Combined Medical-Surgical unit you will:
- Provide nursing care to patients/clients on the inpatient ward.
- Provide nursing care to predominantly older residents in a continuing care setting.
- Provide emergency nursing care to patients/clients of all ages presenting to the emergency department with a wide variety of symptoms.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/resident/patient and/or family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement and best practice approach in your nursing practice.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in your nursing practice.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
ABOUT BELLA BELLA, BC
Bella Bella is a beautiful island community off the central coast of British Columbia, 690 km north of Vancouver. It is surrounded by a magical world of channels, inlets and old growth forest. It is home to salmon, orcas, humpbacks, bald eagles and the other denizens of the Pacific Northwest. The climate is mild and the area is a paradise for kayaking, sport fishing, hiking and photography.The R.W. Large Memorial Hospital in Bella Bella has 7 acute beds, 7 residential beds and a 4-bed emergency department open 24/7, along with Laboratory and Diagnostic Imaging services. It offers telehealth services as well as speciality clinics. R.W. Large Memorial Hospital also has an Intensive Case Management team for mental health and substance use. There is a medical clinic and a pharmacy located in the hospital. The healthcare team consists of Physicians, RNs, LPNs, PCAs, Laboratory and Radiology Technologists, Combined Lab/X-Ray Technologists, Pharmacist, Pharmacy Assistants, and Support Services Personnel.
R.W. Large Memorial Hospital is located on the traditional territories of the Heiltsuk Nation. It is one of the only provincial hospitals located on a reserve in all of Canada.
For more information, please refer to this link:
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of a recognized advanced nursing program in emergency or critical care nursing, one year recent, related experience in emergency or critical care nursing, or an equivalent combination of education training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP’s standards for nursing practice.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess patient/client/resident responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability in the management of trauma in an emergency setting.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice to assess and manage critical and life-threatening situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership through initiative and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.