Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Critical Care/Emergency - Sunshine CoastWork Site: Emergency, Powell River Hospital - Powell River, BCStatus: Casual Start Date: As soon as possible Salary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: variousReference#: 118217-jta
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC:
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre - once home to the world's largest pulp and paper mill - Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals. On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you've long been waiting for.
JOB SUMMARY:Provides emergency nursing care to clients/patients of all ages presenting with a wide variety of symptoms within an uncontrolled environment as well as care to critically ill patients/clients with unpredictable outcomes attached to life-support equipment, and/or clients in post-anaesthetic recovery. As member of emergency response team, stabilizes and resuscitates multi-trauma victims, and prepares for and responds to disaster situations. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care givers. Demonstrates expertise and leadership in nursing practice. Maintains and advances clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.Practices within the context of a client and family centred care model and in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards of professional practice and Code of Ethics for registered nurses, and the established vision and values of the organization.QUALIFICATIONS:Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) is required.
- Completion of a recognized critical care nursing program or completion of a recognized advanced program in emergency care nursing or two (2) years’ recent, related experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client and family centered care model.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP’s standards for nursing practice.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care in relation to client/family priorities.
- Demonstrated ability in interviewing and assessment skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability in the management of trauma in an emergency setting.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, and deal effectively with, clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of outside agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach clients and their families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work direction.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of medical equipment and supplies appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Skill in techniques appropriate to critical care nursing.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized patient care information system.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.