Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Critical Care ReliefWork Site: Emergency, Powell River Hospital - Powell River, BCStatus: Temporary Full TimeStart Date: As soon as possible until approximately April 1, 2020Salary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: 07:00 - 19:00/19:00 - 07:00 with rotating days offReference#: 116113-jta
JOB SUMMARY:Practices within the context of a client and family centred care model and in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards of practice for registered nurses, Code of Ethics and the vision and values of the organization. Is utilized for relief work on various units to provide nursing care to high risk, critically ill clients with unpredictable outcomes and provides emergency care to clients presenting with a wide variety of symptoms/illnesses requiring varied care including the use of specialized equipment, such as acute trauma and multi-system failure, psychological imbalance, sexual assault and drug-induced systems, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other health care givers. Demonstrates continuous improvement and best practice approach in nursing practice. Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.QUALIFICATIONS:Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of a recognized critical care nursing program plus 6 months’ recent, related experience in emergency nursing or completion of recognized emergency nursing program plus 6 months’ recent, related experience in critical care nursing or two years' recent, related experience encompassing both emergency and critical care nursing.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNP standards for nursing practice.
- Thorough knowledge of the indications, actions, reactions, routes, dosages, and side effects of drugs used in a critical care environment.
- Thorough knowledge of nursing problems commonly encountered in a critical care and emergency environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the physiological and behavioural aspects of complex critical illnesses.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice to assess and manage critical and/or emergency and life-threatening situations.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to sudden emergencies.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with, clients and their families, co-workers, physicians, and other health care staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership through initiative and independence.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques
- Skill in techniques appropriate to critical care and emergency nursing.
- Skill in the use of critical care monitoring and support equipment.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.