Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Emergency - Training OpportunityWork Site: Emergency, Vancouver General HospitalStatus: Regular Full Time - TrainingStart Date: In-class Dysrhythmia training (if required): May 20, 21, 27, 28, June 3, 2021Online intro theory (if required): May 31 - August 20, 2021Full-Time training at BCIT and practicum locations: August 30, 2021 - November 19 or December 17, 2021Salary: $35.53 - $46.65 per hourHours:
Days off: RotatingReference#: 137058-nmo
Come work as a Registered Nurse in Emergency at Vancouver General Hospital!Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for Registered Nurses to join the Emergency unit at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse in Emergency you will:
- Provide emergency nursing to clients of all ages presenting with a wide variety of symptoms within an uncontrolled environment, and to unique client populations such as victims of sexual assault.
- Assess client needs and prioritizes care requirements, often with limited information.
- Stabilize and resuscitate multi-trauma victims, and prepare for and responds to disaster situations.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care givers.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice.
- Maintain and advance clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Please note that a resume and cover letter is required to apply for this specialty training opportunity.In-class Dysrhythmia training (if required): May 20, 21, 27, 28, June 3, 2021Online intro theory (if required): May 31 - August 20, 2021Full-Time training at BCIT and practicum locations: August 30, 2021 - November 19 or December 17, 2021*course dates will be modified based on previous courses completed, VCH only funds for required courses.Should there be insufficient qualified candidates available for the above position, VCH may fund post-basic training education.
Eligibility should be noted as 1 year recent acute med/surg experience. Preferences will be given to applicants with high-acuity training. Applicants must successfully complete the post-basic training education prior to working in the Department.The post-basic training education program requires full time attendance. Funding will consist of 100% of wages, tuition and books during the training program.Candidates accepting this training opportunity agree to remain with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) as a regular status nurse in the area of nursing applicable to the education program for which they are hired for at least 18 months subsequent to completing training.This will ensure that candidates are able to consolidate and apply skills in the specialty area that VCH has supported and funded candidates to complete. In the event that a candidate leaves the area of nursing applicable to the education program for which they were hired or VCH in under 18 months, VCH will seek to recover the cost of the program.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, and the Central Coast. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a recognized advanced program in emergency care nursing or two (2) years’ recent, related experience.
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client/family centered model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM's standards for nursing practice.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement plans of care in relation to client/family priorities.
- Demonstrated ability in interviewing and assessment skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability in the management of trauma in an emergency setting.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, set priorities and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) and deal effectively with clients and their families, coworkers, physicians, other health care staff, and staff of external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach clients and their families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and work direction.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of medical equipment and supplies appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in techniques appropriate to the clinical area.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques
- Skill in techniques appropriate to emergency care nursing.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized client care information system.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.