Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) - Med/Surg - Orthopedic SurgeryWork Site: Orthopedic Surgery - Lions Gate HospitalStatus: Casual Start Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: variousReference#: 118909-esa
JOB SUMMARY:Using a best practices approach, provides nursing care to assigned patients/clients working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates client care for designated orthopedic surgical patient/client group. Participates in discharge planning, functions as a client advocate and teaches clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness. Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Documents care provided and responds to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures. Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care providers. Maintains and advances own clinical competence. Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned. Practices in accordance with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) standards (professional & practice) for a Registered Nurse and code of ethics. Practices within the scope of practice as set by the organization, as per VCH policies and guidelines/clinical practice documents and within own competence. This practice is aligned with the vision, mission, goals and values of the organization as well as with the concept of a client and family centred care model.QUALIFICATIONS:Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Orthopedic Surgery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Orthopedic/Ortho Trauma; Heart failure (CHF); Chest Pain, MI, Angina; Respiratory Disease/ Asthma/COPD; Renal; Diabetes; GI).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Fractures of the hip, tibia, femur, pelvis; Hip/Knee replacements; Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA); Wound care; Cardiac/Respiratory Arrest; Arrhythmias; Respiratory depression/failure; Sepsis; Shock; Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)/Pulmonary embolus).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Alaris pumps; Cyrocuff ; Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related pumps, catheters, tubes, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute /chronic pain management/opioid tolerant patients, analgesics, patients with addictions / withdrawal issues. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of Wound care; Catheterization; Chest tubes; Compartment syndrome; CP Nerve Blocks (CPNBC); Blood glucose monitoring.
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC; CVC/PICC maintenance; Administering blood and blood product transfusions; Enteral Nutrition.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.