Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Nurse (RN) / Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) - Long Term CareWork Site: Purdy Pavilions, UBC Hospital - Vancouver, BCStatus: Regular Part Time (0.42 FTE)Start Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: 0700-1500/2300-0700, with rotating days offReference#: 124660-cye
Come work as a Nurse in Long Term Care with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the team in the Purdy Pavilions at UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Nurse in Long Term Care with VCH you will:
- Use sound judgment and apply critical thinking skills in providing care to predominantly older clients in a long term care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinate the implementation of clinical interventions, evaluation of client outcomes based on client goals of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing client care.
- Supports the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and supports cohesive team work to ensure client centered care.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Completion of an approved gerontology course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to clients who may have chronic diseases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in long term care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly clients with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to clients (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
- Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired client population.
- Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Long Term Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/client/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
- Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to client and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of clients with acute/chronic pain management including clients with Cognitive impairment.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of clients with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.