Position: Registered Practical Nurse
Department: Mental Health Program – Brief Assessment Service (BAS)
Status: Part-time (must provide availability up to 0.5 FTE)
Hours:Monday to Sunday, various rotating 12 hour shifts (hours are subject to change based on operational needs)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
This is what you'll be doing:
The Mental Health Program is implementing a new model of care in partnership with the Emergency Department to support patient care and access to services.We are currently seeking nurses that have the passion for the art and science of mental health nursing.The successful candidate would perform mental health and risk assessments, and provide one to one supportive therapy and medical care.The position would require the full scope of nursing care, which includes nursing competencies outlined in the College of Nurses Practice Standards.The BAS nurse will report to the Manager of Mental Health, working collaboratively with the Emergency Department and inpatient programs, alongside other hospital services and community agencies.
This is what you'll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS Certification required
- Minimum of 1-3 years ofemergency mental health nursing or crisis experiencerequired
- Minimum of 5 years of recent psychiatric mental health nursing experience required
- Certificate in Mental Health Nursing preferred
- Advanced skill in the assessment and management of mental health and concurrent disorders emergencies, including mental status examination, suicide risk assessment, management of aggressive behaviour, bio-psychosocial assessment, physical health assessment, treatment and transitional care;
- Experience inaddictions and/or medical/surgical or emergency nursing would be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of all applicable health care legislations
- Current certification in non-violent crisis intervention
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize care and make informed autonomous decisions;
- Demonstrated ability to work with complex and difficult patient and family situations;
- Physical ability to intervene effectively in clinical situations requiring the management of aggressive behaviour;
- Proficient in the use of computers, with the ability to type notes and access the electronic health record
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills;
- Excellent organization, time management, professionalism and ability to work as part of team
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and work record required;
- Passion for change, quality improvement, and professional development
Salary: $24.53 to $30.66 per hour
Date Posted:September 8, 2020
Internal applications due by: September 15, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.ca directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. , We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.