Registered Practical Nurse (UNIFOR), Freeport Hospital Site – Grand River Hospital
Specialized Mental Health (Inpatient Adult and Geriatric Programs)
Permanent Full-Time & Part-Time, Unscheduled Part Time & Temporary Opportunities Available
Grand River Hospital (GRH) is Waterloo Region’s largest hospital, located in Kitchener, Ontario. With over 600 beds, GRH has 15 clinical programs and services and provides patient-centered care to more than 775,000 residents in the Region of Waterloo and surrounding communities. The hospital is conveniently located close to major routes and highways.
Why Work With Us?
We are looking for passionate individuals to help us achieve our vision of providing exceptional care and contributing to a healthy community. Grow your career at Waterloo Region’s largest hospital and be part of a progressive organization full of great opportunities with a culture that values compassion, innovation, and a positive attitude. GRH is a place where you can truly make a difference – one patient at a time. At GRH, you are essential.
Job Summary & Qualifications
Rate of Pay - $29.0658 per hour plus benefits or equivalent (dependent on status of position)
Hours of Work – 8 and 12 hour shifts; Days, Evenings, Nights, and Weekends
Offering person-centred care, guided by recovery principles, the Registered Practical Nurse promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program. The RPN provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care working within a team with individuals experiencing psychiatric and mental health problems. The patient population includes the severely mentally ill and those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA). This rotating position requires that the RPN contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
In this position, the incumbent may be required to work with COVID positive patients when assigned.
- Registered Practical Nurse with certificate of competence with College of Nurses of Ontario
- Post diploma in Psychiatric Nursing preferred
- Three years’ experience in psychiatric nursing preferred
- Experience in working collaboratively in multidisciplinary setting
- Heart Saver and de-escalation certificates (current)
- Recognized medication course
- Knowledge of mental illness, suicidal behaviours and current mental health practices and treatment modalities
- Using preset standards and protocols within their RPN scope of practice, provides assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of individuals with psychiatric/mental health disorders
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act and Substitute Decisions Act
- Excellent patient teaching skills
- Application of Family Systems Nursing in the provision of direct patient family care
Why Should You Apply?
- Great Pension Plans
- Employee and Family Assistance Programs
- Growth and Promotion opportunities across clinical and corporate program and service areas
- Educational and Training Opportunities, Tuition Assistance Program, Health Services Library, Leadership Academy, Edge Learning Courses
- GRH Social Club and discounted prices for movies, family events, tickets to attractions, etc.
- Other community discounts and access to opportunities as a GRH health care worker