MEN’S IN-HOUSE PROGRAM
Full Time Permanent Position
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
River Point Centre
146 Magnus Ave.
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Adult Treatment Leadership Team, the incumbent provides treatment services (treatment planning, individual counselling, group counselling, education and aftercare planning) to adult males experiencing concerns related to alcohol and drug use. This position requires a commitment to a client-centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services, as well as knowledge of addictions and mental health services in Manitoba.
The Rehabilitation Counsellor will work as a member of the Men’s In-House Program team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons, those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent AFM approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- Awareness of the unique circumstances and needs of adult males in addictions treatment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct bio-psychosocial/spiritual assessments and collaborate with clients to design client-centred, strength-based treatment plans that reflect evidence-based practices and clinical skill.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill related to individual and group counselling services to adults whose primary concerns are alcohol, drugs and co-occurring disorders.
- Ability to match treatment services to client’s unique circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain current and accurate confidential records of client files.
- Demonstrates skill and knowledge related to Motivational Interviewing techniques/coaching skills.
- Works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team within the organization.
- Participates on committees, teams or work groups at the local and provincial level as requested by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships and regular communication with community and other related organizations relevant to client’s needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree in the Social Sciences or related field with a minimum of one year supervised counseling experience (or volunteer experience); working in the addictions field an asset or a Diploma in applied counseling with a minimum of two years supervised counselling experience (or volunteer experience). Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to assessment, individual and group counselling; excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication and documentation skills; knowledge of the addictions and mental health fields and demonstrated ability to work within a complex systems of services are required. Experience working from a client-centred perspective and training and/or experience in the utilization of Motivational Interviewing techniques is essential. Experience in planning, preparing and presenting educational material is an asset. Demonstrated ability working within and contributing to a positive team environment is required. Effective communication and problem solving skills are required. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential; the ability to communicate in aboriginal languages, including Ojibwe and Cree, as well as French is considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Rehabilitation Counsellor opportunity are:
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
Regular work hours for the full time position are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM however will require the ability to work some evenings and varying hours.
From this competition a 6 month eligibility list will be established for term & casual positions within the same program, work location and job classification.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct a child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No: 2019-151
Salary Range: $55,813 – 66,990 per annum ($29.51 - $35.42/hr) under review (Potential to move to a maximum of $38.12 per hour with specific qualifications)
Closing Date: November 18, 2019
Apply in writing to:
Director, River Point Centre
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
146 Magnus Avenue, WPG, MB R2W 2B4
Fax: (204) 582-2062
Or apply through Monster link provided.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCE
Salary currently under review