Alstom develops and markets systems, equipment and services for the railway sector around the globe while promoting sustainable mobility. We pride ourselves on our multifunctional expertise and manage the widest range of solutions in the market – from high-speed trains, metros and tramways to infrastructure, signalling and customised services.
With increasing activities in Canada to meet growing demand for sustainable transportation, Alstom seeks motivated candidates who will help us leverage our expertise and apply it locally. We have the energy and spirit of a start-up with the foundations of a multinational, world-class corporation that encourages collaboration, entrepreneurship, creativity and respect for the environment. Our employee offering includes career and development opportunities and extensive internal mobility prospects across dozens of locations around the world.
Our most recent project is the Réseau Express Métropolitain (REM). REM will be the fourth largest automated transportation system in the world once completed and is also the largest public transit project in Quebec since the Montreal Metro. The future integrated network will link downtown Montreal, the South and North Shores, the West Island and the airport. Alstom is looking for qualified candidates to fill positions on this exciting new chapter of urban transit in Montreal.
For this project we are looking for a Test and Commissioning Manager
Purpose of the Job
REM is a 67km Metro line build by 2 consortia: 1 CW Consortium named NouvLR, 1 E&M Consortium named GPMM. GPMM delivers Trains, Signaling and Low Voltage, Platform Screen Doors, Depot Equipment and Operation and Maintenance for 30 years. GPPM is a consortium built up between ALSTOM and SNC Lavalin.
Within GPMM, the Testing & Commissioning Manager is in charge of the integration and validation activities all along the line inside GPMM and between NouvLR and GPMM.
The Testing & Commissionning shall work in close coordination with the OPC Manager of the project.
The Testing & Commissioning Manager shall ensure that the deployment activities of GPMM for the REM are executed smoothly taking into considerations the project constraints (planning, construction sequence, site constraints, environmental conditions, site accesses, best practices, QA/QC process, HSE) issued in particular from the works with NouvLR.
The main missions are:
- Coordination of the testing and commissioning activities between NouvLR and GPMM, taking into account GPMM constraints and requirements as consolidated by the Test and Commissioning Manager. The sequences of the testing activities being not detailed in the contract, it is up to the T&C Manager to make sure the activities are phased and executed in a logical way, to avoid or limit any future quality issues, final acceptance issues …
- Animate the internal weekly works coordination meeting
- Animate the external weekly works coordination meeting and bring his expertise to propose the best solutions to coordinate the works and defend any external disputes with the NouvLR
- Consolidate the work progress for GPMM with the support of the planning team.
- Assess the impacts of the delays and the difficulties encountered in the execution of the works. Derive some action plans to mitigate the impacts. Define some workarounds with the two stakeholders.
- Arbitrate among the stakeholders, define the deployment strategy and re-plan works if necessary
- Secure the handover of the works from NouvLR to GPMM with the support of the SubSystem T&C Managers
- Ensure that the entities supporting the works are involved in the activities: HSE, quality, planning, work permits,
- Prepare the 3 weeks look ahead planning and the operational planning
- Prepare the detailed phasing for some specific area (Depots and any other special areas)
Roles and Responsibilities
The key drivers to successfully deliver a Metro turnkey project are
- Adapt to the project constraints. Anticipate issues
- Coordinate the various stakeholders of the project
- Optimize as much as possible the production means and the production methodology
The Test and Commissioning Management includes the following tasks:
- Breakdown the T&C into distinct phases taking into consideration the external constraints of the insertion of the metro line in the city
- Phasing of the activities. Prepare the phasing documents.
- Prepare the processes for transferring the works from one stakeholder to another
- Ensure that the testing processes include the necessary quality control activities
- Plan & Report:
- Produces the plans and test procedures for Systems activities
- Validate the plans and test procedures of the participating Units (either Alstom or partner)
- Plan and coordinate the site ( and also off site test if applicable) tests of the participating Units
- Cooperate with the planning team to prepare the Testing Program
- Prepare the 3 weeks look ahead testing program
- Collect the production data for the planning & reporting team
- Report the potential delays and the risks to the project management
- Contribute to the project reports
- Manage & Supervise:
- Manage the testing management team in charge of the Metro System Part
- Drive the periodic coordination meeting with NouvLR
- Lead the internal periodic coordination meeting with the SubSystems
- Supervise the testing and commissioning activities
- Coordinate the necessary means for the realisation of the systems tests, being understood that each participating Unit (GPMM or NouvlR) provides the staff and test tools for their own equipment.
- Organises the “readiness reviews” of the internal participating units, which are a mandatory preliminary to the systems tests; follow-up the corrective actions mandatory before the systems tests start.
- Create and manage action plans corresponding to malfunctioning of the system, aiming to reach the contractual performances targets
- Develop some recovery plans in case of delays
- Manages the system configuration during the successive tests phases (factory, VTT, test track, site…)
- Lead, develop and motivate his direct team
- Maintain and develop his own level of expertise
- Support with his team the Project Technical Manager
- Implement the processes, methods and tools corresponding to his activities
- Produces the relevant Project Workpackages meeting QCD commitments
Degree in engineering
Desired Knowledge / Experience
- A minimum of 15 years in a similar position on a large tramway / metro project.
- Past experience in works supervision is a must.
Proven past experience in the coordination of the Turnkey Test and Commissioning activities of large urban rail projects (Metro or Tramway) with a level of Master Expert, Senior Expert or Expert.
- Knowledge of Gantt and time distance (TILOS) planning. Knowledge of Primavera is a plus
- Good Communications and interpersonal skills. Facilitator but able to Stand its position in front of CW stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable of all standard office tools (xls, word, mpp, ppt, outlook, ….)
- FLUENT English and French
We thank you for your interest in joining Alstom team. Please note that we will contact only selected candidates.
Job Segment:Testing, Project Manager, Quality Assurance, Manager, Technology, Management