Department:Chemical Engineering & Applied ChemistrySt. George (downtown Toronto)
BioZone (https://www.biozone.utoronto.ca) is acentre for applied bioscience and bioengineering research at the University ofToronto with a track record of developing sustainable technologies that reduceresource-use and help to clean up the environment. Its multi-disciplinaryexpertise includes industrial and environmental biology, enzymology,bioinformatics, synthetic biology, systems biology, structural biology,modeling, and data analysis. Shared laboratory facilities within BioZone housestate-of-the-art equipment for bioprocesses, protein characterization,fermentation, tissue engineering, anaerobic digestion and bioremediation.
A Research Associate position in the area ofmetabolic engineering, synthetic biology and enzyme engineering is available inProf. Mahadevan’s group (http://lmse.utoronto.ca) located at the BioZone Centrein the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University ofToronto. This position is part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary research projectwith Industry involving active collaboration with microbiologists, biochemistsand engineers.
Ph.D. in microbiology,biochemistry, biochemical engineering or related discipline.
At least 2years of postdoctoral or industrial experience and a strong publication record.Candidates with demonstrated experience in any of enzymology, fungal genetics,protein engineering, synthetic biology, metabolic engineering and fermentationare encouraged to apply. Expertise in CRISPR-Cas system; yeast fermentation andphysiology; metabolic modeling and flux analysis; media and bioprocessoptimization and scale-up are strong assets. Experience providing direction tojunior researchers and trainees is an asset. The ideal candidate will be aself-starter, with strong organizational and problem-solving skills, anddemonstrate the ability to work independently but also have stronginterpersonal and communication skills to be team player in amulti-disciplinary environment.
- Designing, planning andexecuting research projects independently.
- Co-ordinating researchefforts with collaborators and their teams.
- Preparing manuscripts forsubmission to peer-reviewed publications/journals.
- Presenting findings to researchpeers and collaborators.
- Maintain properdocumentation of all relevant data and analysis (electronic lab notebooks,reports, etc.).
- All interested applicants must include in their online application their CV along with 2 references.
- The initial appointmentterm is one year with the possibility of renewal.
- All qualifiedcandidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residentswill be given priority.
Research Associate, Limited TermGrant - TermFull-timeR01 -- Research Associates (Limited Term): %2445,491 - %2485,295