We are looking to fill a part-time position to support the household’s daily cooking needs. Ideally the candidate will have a background in the restaurant as food preparation and cooking are imperative to this position. The Chef will be responsible for preparing meals in the private home, according to employers' recipes and tastes, handling the majority of the meal preparation for the family and their guests. The expectation is that the Chef will always operate with the highest quality standards and will be thorough and disciplined in their work. The family greatly values freshness and quality food. The ideal candidate would hold similar values and could demonstrate this through their work experience.
- Select and review menu items with family members. Plan menus according to employers' needs and diet restrictions.
- Develop recipes along the tastes and with what is in season or growing in owner’s garden/ greenhouse. This may be Italian style – wood oven pizza’s or vegan friendly meals.
- Harvest fruit, vegetables and herbs from owner’s garden for food preparation.
- Plan and prepare food for parties, holiday meals, special functions, and other social events. In some events, depending on size, the chef may be required to manage a catering team.
- Shop for recipe ingredients, sourcing the freshest, highest quality ingredients for all recipes.
- With the approval of the home owner, order materials, supplies and equipment for food production.
- Peel, wash, trim, and cook vegetables. On some occasions, owners may simply request the washing and preparation of vegetables for their assembly at a later time.
- Provide knife handling tips and/or cooking tutorials to family as requested. Assist them in preparing and assembling recipes when they would like to be involved.
- Prepare, marinate and cook meat products in accordance with food safety standards.
- Prepare doughs, pastries and breads.- i.e pizza doughs
- Prepare Plant-based, vegan friendly meals.
- Cook, bake, and deliver full recipes at the owner’s request. Some meals will be made for immediate consumption, while others will need to be packed and stored for future use.
- When preparing meals for the week, the chef is responsible for safe packaging, accurate labeling, and convenient storage of prepared items in their clients' refrigerator or freezer.
- Prepare and package meals for other family members not on premise.
- Act as a server for dinners and functions as needed. I.e Provide service such as plate delivery, busing and ensure superior customer service when managing dinner parties or events.
- Wash dishes, cutlery and all cooking ware. Organize the kitchen frequently, ensuring a neat and hygienic work area at all times.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Prior experience in a restaurant, or cooking environment for a minimum of 5 years is required. Exposure to international cooking, particularly Mediterranean food is an asset.
- Prior experience cooking in a wood burning oven is required.
- Prior experience with Vegan/ Vegetarian meals is required. A passion for vegan cooking will be essential in this role.
- Prior experience in a residential cooking environment is preferred.
- Must have experience calculating figures and amounts and performing mathematical functions to meet the various recipe requirements.
- Strong knife handling/ food preparation skills are essential to the role.
- The ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the guests, with strong presentation skills to explain recipe ideas or serve a party.
- Strong customer service skills and a high degree of professionalism are required.
- Safe food handling certification.
- Ability to bend, stand, and stoop for long periods of time, and working long hours in hot conditions as needed.
- Ability to work longer shifts when needed.