Robitcs Engineer - Robotics & Automation
Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for an Robotics Engineer, Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
GENERAL OUTLINE OF POSITION:
The Robotics and Automation group at Vineland Research and Innovation Centre is growing and currently seeking a highly talented and experienced Robotics Engineer who is passionate about R&D, automation, and robotics to join the team. The role of the Robotics Engineer will be to develop, implement and test algorithms for controlling various automated systems and manipulators for harvesting operations. It is a hands-on position including robot programming and control, path planning and integration of grippers. The work will involve both lab and on-farm testing.
You will work with a fast-moving and creative multidisciplinary team that is passionate about using robotics and AI to develop novel solutions for the agricultural industry. You will be surrounded by people like you; innovative, creative, and driven to finding unique solutions to challenging and rewarding problems.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop algorithms for robotic manipulation
- Program and control of SCARA and 6-DoF robots
- Integrate computer-vision outputs for hand-eye coordinated manipulation
- Support the design and development of custom end effectors
- Integrate different grippers with existing robots
- Prepare detailed documentation of procedures and algorithms
- Take part in system design review sessions.
- Interact directly with other engineers and with research scientists (computer vision and DSS)
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
Bachelor’s degree in Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering
Previous Experience Required:
- A minimum of 5 years work experience in programming and controlling industrial robots
- Understanding of various communication protocols (serial, TCP/IP, etc.)
- Familiar with ROS (Robotic Operating System)
- Experience with programming in Linux enviroment
- 3-5 years of experience programming in C/C++ and Python
- Vision-based robotic manipulation
- Integrating robotic solutions within industrial systems.
- Path planning
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Masters Degree in Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Programming microcontrollers
- PLC programming and troubleshooting
- Experience with a research and development work environment
- Experience with working in a multi-disciplinary team
Vineland Research and Innovation Centre
4890 Victoria Avenue North, Vineland Station, Ontario, Canada, L0R 2E0
Start Date: November 1, 2018
Term of Appointment: 3 year Contract
- A cover letter stating your qualifications and research interests
- Contact information of three references
Please submit your application in confidence to the attention of:
Vineland Research and Innovation Centre
4890 Victoria Avenue North, Box 4000
Vineland Station, Ontario, Canada, L0R 2E0
Please note that this location is not accessible by public transportation
You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on Vineland Research and Innovation Centre please visit us at www.vinelandresearch.com