The Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality (HSEQ) Coordinator is accountable for the daily administration and maintenance of the HSEQ Management Systems within Seaspan Marine Transportation. This includes ongoing assessment and implementation of new and existing systems to ensure suitability and that they continue to meet the objectives of the Marine Transportation HSEQ policies and the fully integrated ISO 9001/14001/45001 requirements.
- Coordinates and maintains the HSEQ Management systems within Marine Transportation by monitoring, reporting, and administering actions which prevent the occurrence of non-conformities or HSE incidents, tracking and verifying corrective actions, and reporting on the performance of the HSEQ Management system to HSEQ Management.
- Assesses non-conformances and coordinates with Marine Transportation personnel to remediate non-conformities.
- Reporting and analysis of information related to Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ) performance Marine Transportation including leading indicators (e.g. program implementation, hazard identification) and lagging indicators (e.g. incident management including injuries, spills, waste and hazardous waste, air emissions, procedural or regulatory non-conformances), HSEQ performance measures and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Works with HSEQ management applications to ensure that real-time accurate statistic are available to the organization to satisfy internal reporting (weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting) and external reporting (including Client and Regulatory reporting) of HSEQ performance.
- Assists in maintaining the management systems in a manner consistent with integrated ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001 requirements and HSEQ manuals.
- Disseminates effectively the requirements and procedures of HSEQ Management Systems to all managers and employees.
- Participates in HSEQ awareness training for Marine Transportation personnel as directed.
- Contributes to the performance of the integrated audits, including audit planning, performance of auditing duties and completion of audit records /reports as required.
- As directed by HSEQ Management, assists with the development and maintenance of HSEQ Management System documentations including manuals,, procedures, work instructions, and forms/templates within the Marine Transportation group.
- Supports change management process as a Change Management Coordinator.
- Supports facilitation of HSEQ Management Review Meetings (e.g. planning, collection of data and related information, development of related report/presentation) as a Management Review Coordinator.
- Produces regulatory compliance reporting and supports business units to meet HSEQ regulatory reporting and permit requirements. This includes reporting required by Federal Government (NPRI, Greenhouse Gas Emissions), Labor Canada, Transport Canada and Transportation Safety Board, Provincial Government, Regional/Local government, or Port Authorities.
- Responsible for the provision of HSEQ-related information that supports customer requests, 3rd party certification bodies (i.e. ISNetworld, Green Marine) and other stakeholders (i.e. Port Air Emissions Inventories).
- Supports maintenance of the Seaspan ULC registry of regulatory and other obligations, including status of compliance, authorisations, permit requirements, and reporting dates.
- Confirms that changes to regulations or other Seaspan HSEQ standards to which the company subscribes remain current. Provides updates on HSEQ regulatory requirements as required.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary Diploma/Degree in Quality, Health and Safety, or Environmental technology/science, or an equivalent amount of relevant education and experience.
- Cross-functional experience and knowledge of relevant Management Systems in the following areas:
- ISM Code;
- Safety Management;
- Environment Management;
- Quality Management.
- Training and experience in internal auditing based on ISO standards related to HSEQ Management Systems;
- Experience in managing accurate information to support business decisions and regulatory reporting;
- Experience with the remediation of incidents and non-conformities;
- Experience with corporate HSEQ applications/software;
- Experience in document control.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in the English language;
- Flexible and adaptable to changing situations and work environments;
- Excellent technical, analytical, presentation, organizational, negotiation, and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy;
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, clarity and quality of work;
- Ability to develop graphs, charts and tables to effectively present data for decision makers;
- Self-motivated and able to work both collaboratively and with minimal supervision.