As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Field Supervisor - Crossing Guards, is responsible for the safety of children crossing the street at designated school crossings.
- Must be capable of understanding the Highway Traffic Act and written instructions and procedures
- Must be able to stand outdoors for up to one and one half hours in any type of weather, and be physically capable of quick movement in case of emergency
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must successfully undergo a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Must successfully undergo a work fitness test as required by the Corporation
- Must meet Ministry of Transportation Vision Standards with respect to visual acuity and horizontal visual field (‘G’ Class)
- Must execute an employment contract
- Must be able to travel to various locations throughout the City, as required
- Must be available to work during the school day