Turnstone Biologics is a clinical-stage, immuno-oncology company focused on the development of next-generation oncolytic viral immunotherapies for patients with a broad range of solid tumors. Turnstone’s unique, first-in-class oncolytic viral immunotherapies combine the potent tumor-killing effects of an oncolytic virus with a tumor-targeted T-cell vaccine to harness an individual’s own immune system to attack the tumor, preventing recurrence and delivering a cure. Turnstone’s robust pipeline of early-stage compounds, based on its MG1 oncolytic virus platform, are in development for multiple solid tumors and are being evaluated in combination with other cancer immunotherapies, including checkpoint inhibitors, to drive unprecedented, durable T-cell immune responses and strong anti-tumor activity and prevent recurrence. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, Hamilton, Canada and New York, USA.
The position is located in Ottawa and Hamilton. The position of Scientist/Immunologist is to manage all aspects of the discovery, validation and preclinical development to advance a novel neoantigen immunotherapy from the discovery phase into the clinic. The incumbent will demonstrate their ability to participate in a highly matrixed and innovative research environment with a track record of translating basic research findings into novel therapeutic strategies that support clinical drug development. They will contribute to the technical development and testing of a first-in-class personalized immunotherapy, meshing tumour genomics with individualized vaccine construction. The position contributes both intellectually and experimentally as part of a multidisciplinary team with the development of strong cross-functional relationships being important for success.
- Conduct research and design experiments that focus work in tumor and immune cell target identification/validation leading to innovative next generation biologics and modalities.
- Utilize expertise to independently design, execute and analyze experiments using cellular and molecular immunological assays to investigate and uncover novel target biology and technologies to foster neoantigen targeted immunotherapy.
- Effectively collaborate with other members of the company, including external collaborators and partners.
- Prepare and present hypotheses, on-going progress reports, technical reports and future plans (including contributing to budget strategic presentations).
- Supervise students and/or laboratory and research technicians in equipment management (e.g., flow cytometer) and ethical treatment of animals in research.
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Must hold a Ph.D. in biology/immunology/oncology/pharmacology or a related field with 4+ years of experience or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Robust understanding of innate and adaptive immune systems is required.
- Experience with in vivo models, isolation and culture of primary cells (both mouse and human).
- National Institutional Animal User Training Certification (NIAUT) an asset.
- A working knowledge of immune based in vitro assays, flow cytometry and common molecular techniques.
- Experience in T cell function/differentiation/signaling/regulation, phenotypic analysis of inhibitory and costimulatory targets and pathways and/or neoantigen biology and vaccines is highly preferred.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.