Scrum Master / Delivery Lead
ABOUT INFORMATION & TECHNOLOGY AT CN
CN harnesses the power of information every minute of every day to make better decisions. Almost every aspect of our business relies on technology; this is why CN invests around $100 million every year on IT projects and infrastructure. And with close to 1,000 in-house employees, CN’s IT team is more than a first-class technology shop – they’re railroaders, dedicated to enabling our people to work better and to helping our trains run safely.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
The Scrum Master is responsible for facilitating end-to-end planning and delivery of one or more projects using the iterative approach. They will ensure project(s) are progressing smoothly and effectively by resolving impediment(s) that could impact the team’s progress and targets.
They must possess a thorough understanding of agile methodologies such as iterative approach, strong leadership skills as well as a solid understanding of the teams’ roles and practices that comprise an effective Iterative development team.
A Scrum Master is critical to the facilitation and execution of the Scrum team.
Ensure the Iterative team(s) are practicing the core agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability, and visibility.
Lead and coach the team on CN delivery best practices within the iterative framework.
Setting up the agile environment for the team to build and iterate
Organizes and leads scrum ceremonies such as; planning, daily stand-up, reviews & demos, retrospectives, iteration and release planning, demos and other scrum-related meetings.
Define & shape product in collaboration with Product Owner & Scrum team
Manages project scope (feature level) and work with project manager to raise mis-alignment
Leads the team to estimate the workload for each sprint to ensure velocity improvements from one sprint to the next
Shields the team from external factors that would impede their ability to delivery as per commitment.
Be the point person for all communication & logistics for the Scrum team
Track and communicate team velocity, iteration/release progress, impediments and maintain relevant metrics while ensuring the completeness and quality of all deliverables (e.g. features, code, test results, etc.)
Report impediments escalated by the team and participate in the resolution plan with project manager
Mentors team on making appropriate commitments through user story selection and task definition.
Help team or individual to clarify goals and actions to achieve them.
Guide the teams towards improving the way they work.
Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and prioritizing the product backlog.
Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Scrum Master Certification required.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills in working with the Business and IT team members.
- Autonomously leads the team throughout the full project cycle so that they are able to work closely together and be more self sufficient.
- High comfort level presenting to a variety of audiences, including senior management.
- Demonstrates Stakeholder Management, Negotiation and Communication skills
- Able to lead a team to be a self-organizing and cross-functional.
The Scrum Master needs to fully live out the principles of the iterative methodology in a deeper more meaningful manner to ensure trust and optimize collaboration throughout the organization.
- Understands the fundamentals of iterative development and possess good communication skills so that they can speak intelligently about them.
- Exhibits the ability to influence without authority by advocating and leading the team towards decision making by consensus.
- Empowers the team to be creative whilst focusing on bringing value.
- Motivates and supports the team towards continuous improvements.
- Understands the fundamentals of software development processes and procedures.
Understand backlog tracking, burn down metrics, velocity, and task definition.
2-3 years of Iterative Software Delivery Experience.
Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience in software development practices.
Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and DevOps patterns experience are assets.
Experience with leading Scrum team with off shore team members
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.