Second Cook (part time)
Hotel Overview: Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Fairmont Royal York is within walking distance to the city’s world-famous theatre district, vibrant nightlife and Toronto’s best shopping and dining. Ninety years after opening its doors in 1929, Fairmont Royal York continues to be the epicenter of the essential Toronto experience and embodies the true meaning of hospitality. With a grand-scale transformation underway to present a revitalized Fairmont Royal York, the evolution of the hotel’s storied history invites a new generation of visitors and guests to discover this next chapter. With over 1300 guest rooms, 70,000 square feet of meeting and conference space, and over 1200 colleagues, Fairmont Royal York depicts the elegance of its past while providing a promising future as Toronto’s leading luxury hotel.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Prepares the necessary food items as directed by the Chef de Partie/Sous Chef in accordance with standards and in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Adheres to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Keeps work station clean and organized including fridge’s/freezers, countertops and stove top
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Will operate all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Report any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Chef de Partie/ Sous Chef in a timely fashion
- Complete other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Previous experience in the culinary field required
- Journeyman’s papers or international equivalent an asset
- Diploma Certification in a Culinary discipline an asset
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities
- Highly responsible & reliable
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Available to work weekends (Saturday AND Sunday) and one additional shift during the week
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
Visa Requirements:Must already be legally permitted to work in Canada.