- Opportunity to build a bridge engineering practice within a successful and growing company.
- Opportunity to work on major, multibillion-dollar projects.
- Chance to have an impact and lead a small, rapidly growing team.
- Flexible hours, located downtown Toronto.
Design is powerful. The work we do as engineers, architects, planners and construction professionals reshapes environments, reinvents spaces, and strengthens communities for a better, more sustainable world. None of this happens if we stand still, are complacent, or resign ourselves to accepting the status quo.
At Gannett Fleming, we are looking for talented professionals that will join us as we deliver innovation, leadership, and results to our clients. Since our inception, over 100 years ago, we’ve remained agile, and offer a client-centric focus, that most larger firms simply cannot provide.
We want to do great things; we need your help
As our new Senior Bridge Engineer Lead, you’ll grow and lead our Toronto office’s bridge engineering practice. Working with a small but growing group of bridge engineers, and with support from our stateside team, you’ll be responsible for overseeing the bridge design process, project management, and client relations.
We are currently engaged in exciting, transformative projects in the GTA with major clients including Metrolinx and the TTC. Your work will contribute directly to the success of these, and other projects.
As a senior engineer with leadership experience, you’re well equipped to provide guidance and expertise to your engineering team and other project stakeholders. You’ll supervise the work of bridge design engineers, technicians, and field engineers, to ensure analysis and design is completed to the highest quality standards. You’ll enjoy being a mentor to your team, as you coach them and work collaboratively to solve our most complex design challenges.
When you’re not engaged in technical review and evaluation of designs, you’ll embrace the challenge of being a main point of contact for our clients. You’ll serve as a representative of our company, and play a key role building our business and winning new projects. Your big-picture understanding of our business, and ability to build strong client relationships based on trust and mutual benefit will be critical.
Your tasks will include:
- Lead and supervise project teams and bridge engineering group.
- Prepare proposals, studies, and technical reports.
- Analysis and design of bridges and other structures including new design, load ratings and rehabilitation/retrofit of existing bridges, culverts, retaining walls and civil structures.
- Engineering review of design drawings.
- Draft, modify, and update proposals, and prepare and deliver presentations/proposals.
- Prepare tender documents, quantities and contract administration and management.
- Maintain regular contact with clients and attend meetings.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and team members.
- Prepare, monitor, and forecast budget/cost/project schedule.
- Prepare and monitor scope of work and methodologies, monitor project progress and participate in milestone meetings.
- Project management, including scheduling, status reports, etc.
- Manage contact with subtrades, and provide technical expertise, advice, and oversight.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders and provide updates as necessary.
Working with Gannett Fleming
With 40 offices across North America, and a team comprised of 2500 employees globally, Gannett Fleming has a far-reaching impact in the industry. All of our achievements would have been impossible without our exceptional staff. We continue to invest in in hiring, training, and developing our team because we understand the value of retaining top talent. You’ll be joining an exceptional group of engineers who are invested in their work and are committed to delivering quality.
Our Canadian operations continue to evolve, with 50 plus employees, across multiple disciplines, with two offices in the greater Toronto area. You won’t feel like a number at Gannett Fleming. Our leadership team will know your name, know your work, and appreciate everything you contribute to the business.
- Competitive benefits package.
- 3+ weeks’ vacation (negotiable depending on experience)
- RRSP matching.
- Paid attendance at one conference/professional development event per year.
This position entails 40 hours per week, and generally requires availability between 9am and 3pm with flexibility. During peak activity, there will be some overtime required, and meeting with clients will not strictly happen 9-5.
We have many international offices, and while you won’t be required to travel, there will be opportunities to collaborate with our other teams, including with our new office in Vancouver.
- Degree in Civil Engineering (post-graduate degree is an asset)
- Registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng.), licensed in Ontario.
- Eligible for qualification under MTO RAQS bridge engineering specialties.
- 15+ years of structural bridge design experience in Ontario, coupled with design and construction experience on heavy civil projects.
- 10+ years of experience in managing a team of engineering professionals, leading design teams, and mentoring junior engineers.
- Experience drafting and presenting proposals on new projects.
- Experience in client relations, business development and generating business leads.
- Experience with Canadian Highway Bridge Codes and Canadian design standards and procedures
- Experience with Ontario Ministry of Transportation standards and documents
- Working knowledge of MTO Contract Preparation System.
- Competency in structural design software: CSiBridge/SAP2000 (required), STAAD.Pro, MIDAS, LUSAS (desirable)
- Experience building project teams and managing project staffing.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online, via the Fitzii platform.
We strive to build diverse teams that reflect the community, and encourage applications from underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review all applications, and look forward to hearing from you.