Construction Site, Ottawa Division
Who We Are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with a 40-year history of operations across the United States and Canada. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 7,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
What We Offer
In keeping with the Mattamy Mission of providing The Best Homeowner Experience and adhering to generally accepted building practices, the Senior Builder in our Ottawa Division manages the day-to-day construction operations of the Mattamy community, ranging from budgets to health and safety. As a representative of the Mattamy Construction team, the Senior Builder will report to the Manager, Construction and is responsible for the following:
- All site scheduling, anticipating conflicts with schedules or people connected to schedule and resolving them in advance.
- Reviews and approves all production schedules at site. Ensures trade partner, inspector and supplier adherence to scheduled activities and prioritizes their overall requirements.
- Ensures complete adherence to construction process per Mattamy Policy and Procedures.
- Prepares site for start-up per Mattamy policy and procedures.
- Performs up-front scheduling of early trades. With respect to trades/suppliers prior to excavation, orders and coordinates delivery of initial building materials e.g. windows and trusses. In cases where the project does not have sufficient starts to warrant a Foundation Builder, the Senior Builder assumes those responsibilities.
- Solves problems within level of authority/scope quickly, economically and in a way that preserves relationships.
- Manages Construction Staff (salaried and hourly) through on-going performance management, development, coaching and attracting and retaining strong performers. Plans, organizes and conducts regular meetings with staff to review manpower, materials, quality, production and safety and communicate business updates as required.
- Liaises frequently with internal stakeholders, such as Contracts & Purchasing, the Design Studio and Construction Management.
- Communicates/ coordinates with other departments to ensure timeliness of permits, structural work orders, availability of colours and finishings and a seamless construction process.
- Keeps Construction Management informed of project’s current progress and attends Project Status meetings regularly. Reviews outlook of projects with Builder(s).
- Ensures homes are built to requirements and specifications established by construction drawings, building codes, TARION and Mattamy standards.
- Develops and maintains strong, productive supplier and trade contractor relationships. Communicates company quality and performance standards to each trade contractor and supplier. Conducts periodic work inspections to ensure standards are met.
- Supplies Builders with contracts, scopes of work, and contacts for all trades, suppliers, engineers and consultants. Evaluates daily production overview and makes necessary changes to ensure schedule compliance
- Monitors critical paths for projects, trade contractor schedules, and cost control to ensure that homes are QA ready and meet expected quality and budgets.
- Proofreads and reviews work orders prior to commencement of home construction to ensure feasibility, clarity and intent of extras and changes described in paperwork.
- Reviews and approves all rework invoices.
- Liaise with company Health and Safety department ensuring local division support of accident investigations, claims administration and case management (i.e. return to work of division employees), while ensuring a safe work environment.
What You Bring
- 5-10 years residential construction supervision experience in the new home industry, preferably in a high-volume production build environment.
- Experience using BuildPro is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act and other health and safety regulations.
- Post-Secondary education in construction management, engineering or architectural technology preferred.
- Clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials and regulations. Includes knowledge of all trades, staff responsibilities, scheduling and scopes of work.
- Proven track-record of successful production planning/scheduling and managing to aggressive building timelines in a high-volume building environment;
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts, including trade partners and suppliers and a strong customer focus;
- Strong organizational skills, including the tracking and control of costs and budgets;
- Flexible, with the ability to work at locations across the division.
- Excellent Customer Service skills, with a proven success record of implementing win-win solutions with various stakeholder groups internally and externally;
- Ability to train and mentor staff through advanced leadership skills with the ability to delegate as required.
- Must be detailed and thorough, holding stakeholders and staff accountable to quality results, with a willingness to take responsibility and be held accountable for results;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written.
- Intermediate computer skills, with a strong comfort to be able to learn and navigate various computer systems for production & relevant site information. Knowledge of MS Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook) a strong asset.
When you’re part of the Mattamy Homes family, your day to day work has an incredible impact on the lives of our customers. Everyone on our team contributes to the unique Mattamy way of helping our customers achieve their dreams of home ownership. What we do takes teamwork, and like family, everyone pulls together to give our very best. With a focus on continued growth and industry leadership, exciting career possibilities are waiting for you at Mattamy. We’re honoured to have received external recognition of our company culture as well. We’ve been awarded:
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2019
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2019
- Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2017
At Mattamy Homes, we offer a progressive environment where you can experience exciting possibilities in your career including continuous learning, opportunity for growth, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
We have big plans for our business and our team. Be part of our ambitious future!
Mattamy Homes is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.