Acting in a Contracts and Procurement leadership role on a project, as assigned, the Senior Contracts and Procurement Specialist will report to the relevant Project Director, and functionally, to the Manager, Contracts.
The Senior Contracts and Procurement Specialist will work in an inter-dependent manner with internal and external counsel, contracts and procurement professionals and a diverse group of Teck employees, external service providers, contractors, and suppliers to ensure Teck’s contracts effectively define and manage the legal, commercial, and technical obligations and objectives of the parties involved so as to protect and advance Teck’s interests.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Maintaining and demonstrating Teck’s commitment to safety and environmental protection as a core value, actively promoting the incorporation of Teck’s core values into all aspects of the contracts and procurement function
- Demonstrating Teck’s respect for the rights, cultures, interests, and aspirations of Indigenous Peoples
- Undertaking the setup of the contracts and procurement function for one or more Teck projects, including by establishing contracts and procurement strategies and plans, policies, procedures, systems, tools, and, by recommendation to Project Managers, project staffing plans.
- Leading, managing and mentoring a project contracts and procurement management team to plan, deliver, and administer effective contract and purchase agreements that add value and life-cycle cost reduction for technical services, construction works and purchased materials and equipment.
- Under an EPCM delivery model, (with limited agency), ensuring the EPCM supply chain function complies with all relevant Teck requirements, corporate policy, industry best practice, and project-specific requirements
- Proactively assessing and managing project commercial risk, and ensuring that agreements adequately address practical risks, including as regarding Health, Safety, Environment, and Community
- On a Project, in consultation with Teck internal service providers and functional leads, development of the Owner’s Freight and Logistics plan, establishing Teck requirements for freight and logistics management, customs and trade compliance, risk and insurance, warehousing and inventory management.
- Developing, maintaining and improving company project contract and procurement management requirements, standards and procedures for application within the Teck Project Development Group and, where appropriate and endorsed by the broader organization, across Teck.
- Working with other Teck groups, in particular the corporate Legal Group, Risk and Insurance, and the business unit procurement groups to develop, integrate and deliver best-practice project contract and procurement practices, procedures and templates on PDG projects.
- Ensuring that Teck policies and procedures relevant to project contract and procurement are incorporated into PDG documents and practices.
- Transferring learning from actual project implementation into the improvement of PDG, and where appropriate Teck, policies, standards and procedures.
- Performing independent reviews of project contract and procurement plans and performance at Stage Gates, Health Checks, or other agreed review milestones.
- Ensuring that project contract and procurement decisions made by project directors/managers can be made based upon well-planned contract and procurement strategies, appropriate commercial terms and conditions, effectively executed contract and procurement processes and accurate and timely performance information.
- Providing support to project directors/managers for planning and implementation of project contract and procurement resources, processes, tools and systems on PDG managed projects.
- Building and maintaining relationships with relevant Teck stakeholders as well as relationships with key external service providers.
- Where requested by senior BU and Teck managers and approved by the Director, Project Services, providing advice, or support to the operations or corporate groups, and participating in corporate initiatives to improve supply management across Teck.
- Administrative duties appropriate and necessary for the smooth implementation of the job role within the Teck PDG.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in project contract and procurement leadership roles on major mining, process, or oil and gas plant project implementation (brownfields and greenfield) is mandatory
- Expert knowledge and skills in the area of project contract and procurement management in the resources industry are essential.
- Extensive experience in applied contracts and procurement management in an international / multinational project delivery environment is highly regarded
- Advanced understanding of post-award (practical) project freight and logistics management requirements, and practices.
- Advanced understanding of the unique-requirements for performance of the Contracts and Procurement Management role in an Owner’s team, in addition to proven high performance within an EPCM, EPCM, or Tier 1 Contractor organization.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of overall project implementation management processes, including understanding of project life-cycles, project procedures, project roles and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated excellence in risk and opportunity identification, strategic and tactical planning and management.
- Deep understanding of various contract types, models, strategies, etc. and applicability, risks and benefits of each type.
- Deep understanding and strong ability to argue, defend, apply, and rely on legal and commercial terms and conditions during negotiations.
- Excellent relationship management, negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to scope, build and lead high-performing teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Advanced critical and conceptual thinking skills.
- A graduate degree in a related field is mandatory; a post-graduate degree such as MBA is desirable.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.