Senior Costing Specialist
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full time staff role (1 position) based in Halifax NS.
Senior Costing Specialist
Effective Supply Chain capability takes skill, talent, resolve, and the ability to think on your feet and develop solutions to unexpected challenges. When you’re a company as vast and differentiated as Irving Shipbuilding, solving fresh challenges becomes the name of the game—and we’re seeking a Senior Costing Specialist. Reporting to the Director the Senior Costing Specialist will apply industrial expertise, energy and strategic /operational capabilities to deliver Best In Class performance fit for the 21st century.
The successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- University Degree in Engineering
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience in cost engineering or project controls capacities
• 5+ years’ experience in shipbuilding, manufacturing OR aerospace defence industries preferred
• Strong knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) project performance management technique
• Proficient in data-based analytics
• Ability to write reports and procedures, and present data effectively
• Ability to understand and interpret engineering drawings, bid documents & complex information.
• Ability to work in a cross functional team, or individually.
• Proficient to Expert Knowledge in MS Suite, particularly excel and spreadsheet manipulation
• Numerically astute with strong problem-solving skills, and expertise to develop and execute objectives
• Good communication and interpersonal skills; experience interfacing with technical, supply chain and executive audiences
• Ability to build and maintain effective relationships across departments
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and meet tight deadlines
• Coordinates and monitors costing activities and implementing required resources and systems to ensure availability of timely, accurate cost information, and forecasts
• Inputs or updates budget information, expenditure information, and forecasts
• Estimates the amount of time, money and resources projects will require
• Prepares preliminary estimates if little information is available, conducts research to provide additional data and thought
• Interfaces with customers / vendors as part of assessment and consultation process
• Interfaces with internal project teams to assemble data and assess cost against plan
Subject Matter Expert (SME)
• Acts as cost SME to department and collaborating departments such as procurement and related areas in Supply Chain
• Supports project teams by providing information needed to make decisions
• Continuously reassess own effectiveness and see ways to improve output
• Facilitates discussions related to cost trends
• Suggests, and develops process changes
• Tracks deviations from initial baseline; seek ways to prevent reoccurrence
• Experience of managing and tracking risk using Predict! Risk Management would be an asset
• Assists contract team with contract/proposal materials
• Utilizes methodologies to arrive at accurate cost estimates and schedules
• Reduces risk of cost overruns and schedule slippage
Manages scheduled and ad hoc reports in a variety of formats
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Please be advised that some positions have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.