We are currently seeking aSeniorDatabase Administrator to join ourDistributedSite Reliability Engineering team. This role can be performed from one of our Canadian offices, remotely across Canada, or a combination of both.
Clio is looking for a Senior Database Administrator to join the team that builds and manages our MySQL databases and related systems.
We're building a cross-Canada, distributed team that forms the foundation of Clio's engineering organization:
- We build, secure, and maintain the infrastructure and critical services that power Clio’s core applications.
- We help Clions make data-driven decisions by providing observability and transparency for all of our environments.
- We collaborate with the Clio product development teams to build tools that improve workflows and remove manual labour or friction points.
Who you are:
- You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You challenge and enable your team to take initiative, explore, and implement new improvements while balancing that work against satisfying the requirements as defined by the business;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide the future of our datastores infrastructure in terms of scale and data security
What you'll be doing:
- You’ll be responsible for preparing Clio’s database infrastructure for the future in terms of scale and reliability;
- You will collaboratively define the roadmap to support business goals, and satisfy application requirements;
- You will investigate and solve performance problems with our MySQL databases
- You will use your experience to guide development teams on how to improve and optimize their use of the databases;
- You will scope, define, and collaborate with developers to implement automation and processes that power reliability of Clio’s datastores;
- You'll raise the bar by spreading database knowledge to your team;
- Elevate and educate our engineering processes within Clio, contributing to our cultural values of “No doors, only windows” (an emphasis on collaboration and clear communication) and “Live a learning mindset” (an emphasis on constant self-improvement and evolution in the face of change).
What you should have:
- Hands-on technical expertise with building and configuring MySQL database servers; Bonus points for understanding how to do this in a cloud environment
- Experience investigating and solving performance problems with MySQL databases
- Experience using ProxySQL and the percona toolkit
- Be prepared to work with and develop the MySQL knowledge to rest of the SRE team
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Don’t have all of those? The most important part of this job is that you approach new challenges with curiosity and a drive to apply what you learn to fixing root causes, not just symptoms. Deep curiosity and a desire to learn will help you succeed in this job, combined with a drive to help others by shipping code.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Experience using migrations tools, pt-online-schema-change or gh-ost
- Experience managing hosts with Puppet.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience managing AWS resources with CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience scripting with BASH.
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a workplace that is distributed by design. This means that Clio offers employees more choice: the opportunity to work from one of our hub offices across Canada, remotely, or a combination of both. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology, and culture to ensure our team members are able to do their best work whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.
At Clio, we’re more than just a tech company. We’re transforming the practice of law in a permanent and meaningful way that’s bettering the lives of legal professionals while increasing access to justice for all.
We are high achievers who are setting new standards for what it means to be a tech company. In the past three years, we’ve launched a new interface and experience of our software, acquired our first company, launched a second product, secured the largest Series D in Canadian history at the time, and launched a $1 million dollar relief fund to help legal professionals navigate the challenges of COVID-19 (just to name a few).
We are dedicated to creating diverse teams and inclusive workplaces. We know that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and innovation. We believe you do your best work when you can show up as your authentic self—and that’s a key part of our culture.
At Clio, you have the chance to not only do the best work of your career but work that is putting Canada on the global stage. We know our technology changes lives and we’re committed to making an impact. If that’s something that speaks to you—you belong here, too. Join us.
Learn more about our culture and benefits at clio.com/careers