Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a long-term view to generate optimal, risk-adjusted returns. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the residential, office, retail, industrial and logistics sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held more than C$60 billion in assets as at June 30, 2018, and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada’s leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department : Portfolio Construction and Risk Management
Position type : Salaried
The incumbent is part of the Risk Management team and is responsible for presenting and supervising the production of risk ratings for transactions as well as the strategic plan. Heading a six-person team, he or she takes charge of reporting on investment and portfolio risks and identifying key portfolio risks.
Duties are as follows:
- Craft a strategic vision and business plan for the Investment and Portfolio Risk team;
- Oversee and finalize the steps for establishing the Investment and Portfolio Risk team’s business plan;
- Oversee deal flow, review documents to be submitted to the internal committee or the Board of Directors and update the information they contain;
- Prioritize and coordinate analyses of concurrent transactions used to produce risk ratings;
- Review risk rating results for transactions;
- Put transactions into context in terms of the overall portfolio, strategic plan, investment strategies, risk/return requirements and investment policy;
- Review the assessment of risks related to the strategic plan and reference portfolio;
- Monitor key portfolio risks;
- Create and supervise the use of a model and methodology for monitoring market risks;
- Assist the senior director in presenting preliminary risk ratings for transactions and improving investment teams’ financial models and subscriptions;
- Assist the senior director in influencing and liaising with the investment groups;
- Improve the format of the half-year reports for the portfolio risk team’s divisions and review the results;
- Apply expertise to various projects and risk scenarios with the Caisse;
- Develop and maintain a strong internal network that includes business unit leaders in order to gain a solid understanding of the business unit’s strategy and how it is applied;
- Advise senior vice presidents and business unit leaders on investment risk;
- Attend annual asset review meetings and issue relevant recommendations;
- Facilitate team coordination and work closely with the Portfolio Construction and Research teams;
- Attend seminars and report back with new practices for the team to adopt;
- Develop targets and a workforce plan for the Investment and Portfolio Risk team and provide supervision and guidance on team development and performance.
- Graduate diploma in finance, CFA;
- Fifteen to twenty years of experience in institutional real estate investment;
- Experience in portfolio and investment risk management, an asset;
- High level of technical expertise in financial and quantitative analysis and portfolio modelling;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and the ability to deliver clear, concise messages;
- Ability to perform under pressure within tight deadlines;
- Good multitasker;
- Experience managing a high-performance team;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Knowledge of ARGUS software, an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English;
- Talent for influencing others;
- Ability to establish productive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization;
- Team player with strong organizational and prioritization skills and a desire to contribute to a high-performance culture.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.
You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.