Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a view to generate long-term performance. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the industrial and logistics, office, residential and retail sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held close to C$65 billion in real estate assets as at December 31, 2018 and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department: Strategy and Portfolio Construction
Position type: Salaried
Working with the Investment Strategy and Portfolio Construction team, the incumbent is responsible for building the portfolio, achieving optimal risk-adjusted returns and developing a capital allocation strategy. A team of professionals report to this position.
Main duties include the following:
Lead portfolio construction operations and the development of the capital allocation strategy:
- Establish the capital allocation strategy to guide investment decisions;
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the development of the capital allocation strategy for the global portfolio;
- Define the optimal portfolio profile in terms of risk-adjusted returns;
- Ensure the required performance thresholds are met, based on investment characteristics and market conditions;
- Identify, develop and present capital allocation strategies to improve the risk/return profile for the global portfolio;
Develop portfolio analysis methodology:
Incorporate the macroeconomic aspect and econometric models of the research team;
- Create real estate and portfolio impact scenarios;
- Break down portfolio by return and risk factors;
- Evaluate the risk/return ratio in financial terms and set out an approach with a factor-based risk budget, minimum-variance portfolio and an allocation approach by country and by city;
- Establish a benchmark portfolio;
- Ensure that the components of the current and projected portfolio make it possible to achieve performance targets while still complying with all investment and risk management policies;
- Assess the global portfolio and its positioning, and recommend capital allocation strategies based on the analysis of cycle changes and long-term trends to improve overall performance;
- Manage the financial modelling of the global portfolio, including forecasted returns and portfolio projections, in keeping with strategic investment planning, in collaboration with various business units and the finance team;
- Monitor changes in the portfolio based on strategic investment plans and common risks (concentration, partners, lease expiry dates, etc.);
- Make recommendations regarding the objective for the absolute portfolio return and value-added thresholds;
- Supervise the execution of portfolio management scenarios in terms of asset allocation; measure the impact of investment strategies and real estate market trends on performance and global portfolio allocation;
- Work closely with the members of the research and investment strategy team and various business units.
- Graduate diploma in finance, chartered appraiser or CFA;
- More than 12 years of experience in real estate transactions, including direct experience in negotiating investments;
- Excellent knowledge of the technical aspects of financial analysis and real estate portfolio modelling;
- Experience in portfolio building and applied research an asset;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and the ability to deliver clear, concise messages;
- Ability to perform under pressure within tight deadlines;
- Good multitasker;
- Experience managing a high-performance team;
- Knowledge of ARGUS software and advanced proficiency in Office suite tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English;
- Ability to influence others;
- Ability to establish productive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization;
- Team player with strong organizational and prioritization skills and a desire to contribute to a high-performance culture.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.
You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.