If you’ve built your career in electrical controls design and you’re ready to take the next step into a leadership role with a collaborative team, we have just the opportunity for you.
We’re JWC Environmental and we design, implement, and service wastewater processing equipment for municipalities all over Canada and the US. We offer a full suite of equipment and related services: new machinery, retrofits, rentals, and upgrades. FRC a JWC/Sulzer brand, focuses on designing, fabrication and delivery of customized industrial water and wastewater solutions.
We’re leading a competitive industry into the future. Wastewater treatment, waste reduction and management are each growing sectors in environmental protection, and as industries and cities look for new ways to reduce their impact and increase efficiency, JWC is there to provide solutions that are reliable and cost effective.
We’re looking for a new member on our design team: someone who can bring experience and positive energy to every project.
That’s where you come in.:
As our new Senior Electrical Controls Designer, you’ll develop and implement customized electrical and controls solutions for a variety of customer requirements. This is a senior level role– from day one you’ll have the opportunity to work on a huge variety of tasks and designs and manage the team.
Because no two designs will be the same, you’ll need to be flexible and creative. Starting with client specifications, you’ll model a variety of components and systems that address specific needs. During production, you’ll consult with clients and staff to ensure everything is going smoothly.
You’ll manage a small team, but we expect this department to grow as we grow, and as the senior team member we’ll look to you to take ownership over the work produced.
The best in this role will do more than produce working designs: they’ll take pride in and ownership over their work and complete every task with the highest degree of precision and accuracy. If you love diversity in projects and are driven to make substantial contributions, this is the role for you.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Create detailed designs of control and automation systems for wastewater machinery including panel schematics, panel layouts, PLC systems, I/O Lists and bills of materials
- Develop, test, and troubleshoot PLC and HMI software, electrical circuits and equipment
- Identify customer requirements and translate them into engineered solutions in accordance with related safety standards
- Manage the manufacturing and procurement of electrical panels and equipment with sub suppliers
- Work within the project and sales teams by providing support on electrical and controls related matters
- Provide electrical and controls related project support in the field
- Manage your team and take accountability for the work produced
Working at JWC-FRC:
This will be a full-time, permanent position, with hours from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm with some flexibility. You’ll be working out of our FRC Whitby location: an informal office setting with the best people you could ask to work with. Company culture is as important as it gets at JWC-FRC, so you can be sure you’ll be joining a great group of people who are as invested in their coworkers as they are in the business.
You’ll also be required to travel about 3-5 days a month, visiting clients throughout Canada and the U.S., so a valid passport and driver’s license is essential.
We know that the best work comes from satisfied employees, which is why we make sure everyone learns, grows, and contributes: whatever their role. If you love electrical controls design and want opportunities to build your career with a growing company, this is the place for you.
- A university degree or college diploma in electrical engineering or technology
- Working knowledge in the design of electrical control systems
- Experience with PLCs, HMI, and SCADA (preferably Allen Bradley)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Understanding of electrical and safety standards
- Willing and able to travel approximately 5 days per month to support onsite and field activities
- Willingness to take occasional criminal record/drug tests for US clients
- Valid passport (or ability to obtain/renew a valid passport) and ability to travel to the US
- Experience in a lead, senior, supervisory or managerial role is preferred
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us with the “Help” button in the application.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.