Overview / Responsibilities
Senior Environmental Scientist
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions Division has an exciting career opportunity for an experienced Senior Environmental Scientist, based in our Whitehorse office.
As part of the Yukon and British Columbia Environmental Engineering and Contaminants practice, the successful candidate will be working with a robust team of professionals in seven regional offices with various technical specialties. You will be joining a growing international company, helping to shape our services in local markets, and executing challenging projects for our diverse clientele. A regional team with global resources and a passion for our work, we employ some of the world’s best people and task our managers with inspiring and developing the next generation of employees. Driven by delivering value to our customers, we strive to provide safe and sustainable project solutions, developing the full potential of our people and contributing to the communities we work in. We’re seeking a Senior Environmental Scientist who wants to join a team committed to be a trusted partner for our customers by consistently delivering excellence.
Reporting to the Regional Manager – BC/Yukon, this is an exciting opportunity for a local candidate to combine his/her passion for both technical work as well as business operations to help grow our business and solidify our presence with the local community and clients that he/she is already aware of.
Reporting to the Environmental Engineering and Contaminants Manager (British Columbia/Yukon) and working collaboratively within the British Columbia/Yukon practice, your responsibilities may include but won’t necessarily be limited to:
- Managing and undertaking projects and technical studies in the field of environmental science in support of mining, contaminated site assessments, site remediation, water resources and others as appropriate.
- Working with a team of dynamic professional, including junior, intermediate and senior scientists/engineers to grow Wood’s hydrogeology, mining environmental engineering/reclamation, landfill engineering, infrastructure and contaminated sites practices.
- Collaborating with other Wood offices/environmental staff on projects in Western Canada or international locations.
- Liaising with clients, stakeholders and agencies as required by each assignment.
- Participating in global corporate technical practice groups with the goal of elevating our technical excellence and visibility in the eyes of our clients.
- Liaising with universities, research groups and corporate technical experts in the application of innovative approaches to solving our client’s problems.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key clients.
- Providing technical leadership to a diverse team ranging from junior to senior level staff including monitoring, mentoring and leading the growth of team members.
- Providing direction under applicable Provincial, Territorial and Federal regulations.
- Overseeing quality control including review and approval of technical correspondence, project proposals, technical reports, work plans, and project specifications including cost estimates and budgets.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Graduate degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in engineering or geological sciences.
- Current registration as a P.Ag., RPBio, P.Eng. or P.Geo within Yukon and BC.
- 15 years + consulting experience conducting environmental site investigations of mine sites, well fields and/or contaminated sites.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Provincial, Territorial and Federal contaminated sites legislation, regulations and processes.
- Desire to provide exceptional client service and a commitment to technical excellence.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and hands-on training of intermediate and junior personnel, experience and formal training in environmental due diligence, contaminated site investigation, remediation, waste management, risk assessment or related technical areas.
- An effective communicator that thrives within a team environment.
- Strong writing skills are a must to prepare reports, proposal and other project deliverables.
- A strong desire to grow in your career with Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.