Tucows has been on the Internet since people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Tucows (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC) is a quietly, wildly successful $750 million company. Over twenty-five years, we have reinvented software distribution and domain name registration around the world and challenged multi-billion-dollar phone and cable companies in the US, mostly out of a small warehouse in Liberty Village, Toronto.
Even though we’re a pretty large company, we strive to limit bureaucracy and get good ideas off the ground quickly. We believe anyone, at any level in the organization, can bring forward ideas, initiatives, and creative input.
About the Opportunity:
The successful candidate will join a growing finance team, assuming a key role in the execution and planning of a public company’s compliance and reporting activities, while interfacing across functional teams and with senior management.
In addition to the reporting and compliance aspects of the role, the incumbent will also have the opportunity to broaden their experience by taking on a controller-type role with a small operational entity as well as assisting with ad-hoc opportunities associated with the company’s organic growth and merger and acquisition activities.
This role is best suited to an enthusiastic, newly designated CPA accountant looking for a unique opportunity to gain a broad range of experience in public company. An interest in the technology and Internet services sector would be an asset.
What you’ll be doing:
% of time tasks and duties:
- 40% - On a monthly basis, execute risk-based reviews of key accounting reconciliations and journal entries.
- 30% - Lead the month-end close duties associated with a small operational entity. - Assist with the research, planning and cross-team implementation of US GAAP financial accounting standards.
- 20% - Assist in the quality control of quarterly financial statements prepared in accordance with US GAAP, as well as other external reporting for Board of Director review.
- 10% - Assist in the planning and execution of other finance projects.
The skills and experience you'll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A newly designated CPA.
- 3-4 years auditing and financial Statement preparation experience.
- Experience with US GAAP, COSO or Sarbanes-Oxley would be an asset.
- A strong grasp of fundamental accounting concepts and an enthusiasm for learning new things is required in order to analyze and review complex reconciliations across different types of operations.
- Experience working in a multi-Company, multi-currency environment would also be an asset.
- The ability to focus on large volumes of data and identify errors or discrepancies.
- Interest in researching and implementing new accounting standards.
- Excellent communication to effectively convey information to various levels of staff.
- An ability to be self-motivated and self-disciplined in order to meet long deadlines.
- Can create documentation of systems and processes that are logical and easy to follow.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches, and the diverse points of view drives us forward every day.