Overview / Responsibilities
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Work Location: Halifax NS / Fredericton NB
Wood is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in the Maritime Region. The successful candidate will be a Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience to work with our team of professionals performing engineering, construction and project management on behalf of our clients.
Wood is a global leader in providing geotechnical and multidisciplinary engineering services. What does Wood offer you? Wood recognises that our people play a pivotal role in the success of our business. Our success depends on the strength of our people, and our ability to identify, promote and mobilise our people is important to the long-term health of the organisation. We believe everyone at Wood can grow their own career; we believe development is facilitated through regular conversations with employees to ensure their aspirations are aligned with business needs and opportunities. Just as important is that we want to help our staff grow in directions that appeal to them as well. Our commitment to encouraging and developing our technical staff remains a key priority especially in times of growth.
Nature of Work
Consultation, Design and Construction Oversight for:
- Mining projects including earth dams, tailings and sedimentation ponds dams, water diversion and/or control features, with experience in tailings management services, etc.
- Hydro-electric dams and water retention systems;
- Traditional geotechnical fields such as building foundations and structures, roadways, retaining structures, levees, etc.
You will report to the Geotechnical/Mining Lead for NB/NS and play a leadership role in the organization. You will assist in the long-term management of clients and related business development, oversight on technical quality, and delivery on projects including design, review and project management.
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections, Dam Safety Reviews, Evaluations and Risk Assessments
- Review of stability, seepage, bearing capacity, seismic and settlement analyses;
- Consult on Dams, Tailings, Mine Waste Management projects for our North American and International clients
- Review documentation and site drawings and prepare construction and engineering cost estimates;
- Perform technical writing, review of proposals and project documents;
- Manage projects through all stages from concept to construction;
- Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines
These responsibilities will be delivered within a framework that manages risks and prioritizes safety. In addition, the senior engineer will assist in the mentoring and development of junior and intermediate engineers in the group
You also may have the opportunity to:
- Prepare technical papers for publication and/or presentation at conferences;
- Travel both domestic and international (if required)
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical engineering from an accredited university (advanced degree is highly desirable)
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in either Dam design, Hydro-Electric sector or the mining sector
- Registered, or able to register, as a Professional Engineer in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia
- Experience with dam analysis, tailings characterization and instrumentation technologies
- Design experience including but not limited to deep and shallow foundations, slopes stability, embankment dams, etc.
- Experience with design work incorporating the principles promoted by the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) would be an asset
- Construction inspection and supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Ability to multi-task in a multidisciplinary environment
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.