Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions (formerly Amec Foster Wheeler Environment & Infrastructure) is currently recruiting a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Nanaimo, British Columbia.
The ideal candidate will be capable of overseeing a group of consultants, delivering primarily geotechnical and tailings management services to the mining industry.
You will be responsible for the long-term development and management of the team, clients and related business development, oversight on technical quality and delivery on projects including design, review and project management. These responsibilities will be delivered within a framework that manages risks and prioritizes safety. The successful candidate will consult on projects in North America and with international clients requiring some travel.
This is an opportunity to take the lead technical role on interesting and important projects under a variety of diverse terrain and project conditions offering accelerated responsibility and exceptional experience over what might be gained in other urban locations, along with an attractive work-life balance in an affordable community.
The City of Nanaimo is located on the southeast coast of Vancouver Island, rich with both urban amenities and amazing opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, fishing and sailing to name just a few.
- Consult on tailings management projects for our North American and International clients
- Undertake business development with new and existing clients as well as establish and maintain client relationships
- Coordinate delivery of engineering services and project management according to client-approved scopes of work
- Participate in marketing efforts, prepare technical proposals and reports which may include; design, analyses, geotechnical subsurface explorations, tailings deposition planning, earthworks design, slope stability analysis, construction documents and management of construction monitoring services
- Provide senior technical input and review of designs, working with a multi-disciplinary team including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines
- Provide leadership, management and mentoring of technical staff
- Assist in the maintenance and development of client relationships
- Follow and take a pro-active role in corporate health safety and environmental programs
- Develop technical skills, experience and contribute to a positive team environment
- Provide excellent practical client service with a commitment to technical excellence
- Collaborate with other Wood offices and geotechnical engineering staff on projects in Western Canada and elsewhere
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree from an accredited university in Geological, Geotechnical or Civil (geotechnical option) Engineering
- Currently registered or eligible for immediate registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC)
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the mining sector, specifically design and construction of tailings facilities; 15 years or more is preferred
- Well organized, with a sound knowledge of the application of soil mechanics, geomorphology, engineering geology, hydrogeology and interested in technical and personal advancement.
- Experience with tailings characterization and technologies such as conventional, thickened, paste and filtered deposits for metal mining
- Keen interest in a variety of geotechnical/geological engineering assignments across a variety of terrain conditions and industries
- Strong technical and project management skills
- Excellent workplace safety practices
- Desire to provide excellent practical client service and a passion for technical excellence
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, management and leadership qualities
- Must have excellent written communication (English) skills
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License
- Physically fit, willing and able to hike in rugged/remote terrain conditions
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to a variety of project sites
- Knowledge of regional market, terrain/geotechnical conditions and/or a master's degree would be an asset
In addition to technical expertise and competencies, you are enthusiastic, resourceful, organized, and detail oriented. You demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues. Excellent computer and technical writing skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and multi-tasked environment are essential. You also prefer to live and work in the south coast region of British Columbia and are committed to several years of professional career development and increasing responsibility at this location.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.