Site-specific Senior Human Resources Business Partner - Vancouver Shipyards, North Vancouver
- This position will be required to generally start at 6:15 a.m. to align with the normal day shift of the Vancouver Shipyards. It may also require the incumbent to be flexible in terms of working mornings or afternoons, depending on the needs of the business.
- This is a 2-year limited term opportunity. Compensation includes limited health benefits.
This is a ‘hands-on,’ "boots-on-the-ground" operationally-focused advisory role which will rapidly grow into a more strategic HR role as the entire HR team grows and evolves while delivering our HR strategies, and as you develop credibility with the client group leaders and employees. The Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Sr. HRBP) will be the key ‘go to" person for all HR needs to the Operations’ team at Vancouver Shipyards, based in North Vancouver. A key focus of this role in the first year will be supporting the rapid growth of the new Operations team through talent management, employee relations and labour relations.
You will provide guidance and advice on a wide range of people-related issues, helping align HR strategies to business objectives. As a member of the HR team, your role will be to develop partnerships and strong relationships across the HR department and larger Seaspan teams, especially the Operations’ leadership team and collaborating with these teams to develop integrated people solutions for the Vancouver Shipyards. This Sr. HRBP role is a strategic partner with their business counterparts, providing not only operational support, but also thought leadership on strategic programs and initiatives to improve business performance.
You are an experienced HR professional who thrives on building meaningful and sustainable relationships across organizations. You have strong facilitation and collaborative skills and you understand how to effectively respond and resolve sensitive HR issues while managing the needs of the business.
- Collaborates with the HR team to build and implement best practices relating to attraction, retention and development of employees based on understanding of operational requirements, research and technical expertise.
- Provides coaching and guidance to Business Leaders on their interpretation and execution of HR policies and programs, such as performance management, compensation, change management, organization and job design.
- Drives workforce forecasting and planning at the business unit level to capture the requirements of human resources to meet evolving business objectives and advises Managers in developing business plans for position development and recruitment.
- Partners with Business Leaders and HR team members to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Coaches Managers and Supervisors on best practices for performance management and development plans.
- Responsible for case management of sensitive or complex issues, such as harassment, respect in the workplace or disciplinary investigations and employee terminations, while partnering with the Employee Relations (ER) team to ensure legal and regulatory compliance and providing the necessary documentation and reports to transfer cases to the ER team for determination.
- Proactively collects requirements and identifies issues for the business unit, then designs strategies with internal stakeholders soliciting support and information from HR team members to achieve resolutions which meets the objectives and goals of the business and HR.
- Interprets and develops reports for a variety of regulatory reporting requirements, such as Employment Equity or Federal Contractors Program.
- Implements initiatives to improve the Company’s diversity and representation of designated group members.
- Acts as a role model, guides and advises the HR Coordinators and other HR Business Partners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent is required. A Master's degree is preferred.
- CPHR Designation or in the process of acquiring is a definite asset.
- A minimum of 8 years of work experience in a progressively responsible role as HR Business Partner, Senior Advisor, Consultant or Senior Generalist role in a complex unionized, industrial environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment for the majority of the work day.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a Team.
- Knowledge of HR best practices in recruitment, compensation, performance management, succession planning, orientation and workforce planning.
- Customer service orientation and a results-focused, can-do attitude.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to understand and balance HR, Vancouver Shipyards, Seaspan and Employee needs and interests.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively deal with multiple stakeholders and confidential/sensitive information.
- Initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Strategic outlook to support the objectives and goals for both the HR Department and the Business.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, as required.
- Excellent knowledge of federal and provincial legislation including the Canadian Human Rights Act, Employment Equity Act, Canada Labour Code, Employment Standards etc.