The Senior HR Business Partner (SHRBP) works in the Human Resources Consulting and Program Delivery team and supports the delivery of Seaspan’s People Strategy. The SHRBP works with with their assigned business units to provide in-depth expertise, advice and coaching on the following: complex HR issues, organizational effectiveness, leadership, performance, change management and employee relations. The SHRBP reports to the Director, Human Resources, Consulting and Program Delivery. This opportunity is based at our Victoria Shipyards; although supporting this location will be the focus, the SHRBP will collaborate and work closely with the wider-HR team while also being a key contributor in strategic projects across all Seaspan business units.
NOTE : If required, relocation support from the Lower Mainland Vancouver to Victoria is potentially available.
- Collaborates with the HR team to build and implement best practices relating to attraction, retention and development of employees based on understanding of operational requirements, research and technical expertise.
- Provides coaching and guidance to business leaders on their interpretation and execution of HR policies and programs such as performance management, compensation, change management, organization and job design.
- Drives workforce forecasting and planning at the Business Unit level to capture the requirements of Human Resources to meet evolving business objectives and advises managers in developing business plans for position development and recruitment.
- Partners with business leaders and HR team members to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Coaches managers and supervisors on best practices for performance management and development plans.
- Responsible for case management of sensitive or complex issues such as harassment, respect in the workplace or disciplinary investigations and employee terminations; while partnering with the Employee Relations (ER) team to ensure legal and regulatory compliance and providing the necessary documentation and reports to transfer cases to the ER team for determination.
- Proactively collects requirements and identifies issues for the business unit; then designs strategies with internal stakeholders soliciting support and information from HR team members to get resolutions which meets the objectives and goals of the business and Human Resources.
- Interprets and develops reports for a variety of regulatory reporting requirements such as Employment Equity or Federal Contractors Program. Implements initiatives to improve the Company’s diversity and representation of designated group members.
- Acts as a role model, guides and advises the HR Coordinators and HR Business Partners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or equivalent - Masters preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of work experience in a progressively responsible role as HR Business Partner, Senior Advisor, Consultant or Senior Generalist role in a complex unionized environment.
- CPHR Designation or acquiring is considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge of HR best practices in recruitment, compensation, performance management, succession planning, orientation and workforce planning.
- Customer service orientation and a results focused, can-do attitude.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to understand and balance Human Resources, business unit, Seaspan and employee needs and interests.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively deal with multiple stakeholders and confidential/sensitive information.
- Initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Strategic outlook to support the objectives and goals for both the HR Department and the Business.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, as required.
- Excellent knowledge of federal and provincial legislation, including the Canadian Human Rights Act, Employment Equity Act, Canada Labour Code, and the Employment Standards Act.