ARE YOU A DESIGNATED PROFESSIONAL LOOKING TO UTILIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE AS A SENIOR MANAGER OF ACCOUNTING? Our client is currently looking for a Senior Manager, Accounting to join their team.
Senior Manager, Accounting
About the Company
Our client is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious regulatory bodies in the world and one of the GTA's top employers
About the Opportunity
- The Senior Manager, Accounting provides leadership to the organization regarding accounting, payroll, accounts receivable, billing, accounts payable, the Parental Leave Assistance Program, bencher remuneration and expense management, internal controls, banking and external audits
- The position leads ongoing assessment of opportunities for improvement related to processes, risk mitigation and internal controls with direct or indirect financial impact
- The Senior Manager, Accounting is accountable for oversight of the accuracy and integrity of all financial data for the organization and the Foundation, culminating in the financial statements subject to external audit
- The position establishes and fosters strategic relationships with key external stakeholders such as benchers, auditors, financial institution management, consultants and Foundation Trustees
Client / Client Service Planning
- In conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Manager, Finance, formulates and implements integrated accounting, audit and internal controls strategies and vehicles that support the goals, operations and priorities of the organization
- Provides expertise related to the definition and monitoring of financial resources required to achieve departmental, divisional and organizational goals
- Provides financial oversight for the organization
Client / Customer Service Delivery
- Leads the Finance Division in the development and implementation of integrated accounting, financial reporting and internal controls strategies in support of the client departments and divisions throughout the organization, as well as for special, cross-functional projects and initiatives
- Responds to licensee, candidate, customer and vendor inquiries and escalated complaints, continually seeking improvements in processes related to accounts receivable, billing, payroll, accounts payable and general accounting functions, ad hoc financial reporting, and bencher expense and remuneration
- Manages escalated issues and stakeholder expectations regarding bencher remuneration and expenses, and Parental Leave Assistance Program establishing and communicating protocols and procedure in keeping with Convocation directives and accounting best practices
Prepares reports for the organization, the Fundraising Committee and its Sub-Committees attending and presenting at meetings of the Fundraising Committee and Sub-Committees
- Hires, trains, develops and evaluates employees accountable to the Senior Manager in accordance with the policies of the organization and best human resources practices
- Fosters a positive work environment by setting and clarifying goals, building the commitment of individuals, strengthening the group’s collective skills and encouraging creativity and problem solving
- Oversees the processing of all financial transactions for the organization and the Foundation, including the integrity and accuracy of all such transactions
- Oversees and manages the activities and flow of information for the organization's annual audit process resulting in the preparation of the financial statements for the organization, the Foundation and the Pension Plan for the employees of the organization
- Oversees and signs off on all balance sheet and bank reconciliations for the organization and Foundation including the year-end working papers and other supporting documentation
- Provides leadership and guidance to the general accounting, accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and billing functions
- Develops and monitors the division’s budget of over $3M and Foundation operations of over $500,000 a year
- Approves expenditures of up to $10,000 related to the Finance budget and approves applications to the organizations Parental Leave Assistance Program of up to $9,000
- Oversees the management and has overall accountability for the organization’s corporate credit card program
- Manages contracts for services with vendors and outsourced service providers (e.g. payroll service provider)
- Works closely with the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Manager, Finance, and supports senior management, benchers, Convocation and relevant committees in the formulation and articulation of financial needs, procedures and best practices for the organization
- Provides similar support to the Secretary Treasurer of the Foundation.
- Leads the development and implementation of financial policies, controls and procedures throughout the organization.
Special Projects and Initiatives
- Initiates, plans and coordinates work activities in order to carry out a variety of ongoing and special projects, including continuous development and improvement of accounting systems and procedures, and research and analysis of new initiatives
- Takes a lead role in ensuring accuracy, integrity and professionalism in accounting procedures in departmental, divisional and special project initiatives
- Leads the accounting function for the Foundation
- Provides expertise and guidance in overseeing the issuance of income tax receipts in compliance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements and completion of the annual Charity Return.
- Actively participates and collaborates with other members of management and the senior executive team in the change management process, providing support and consistency of approach related to accounting, internal controls and risk management best practices
- Leads specific finance or cross divisional or organizational projects and initiatives, and is an expert resource and leader to various teams, committees and divisions, communicating best practices and processes for the accuracy and integrity of internal controls, accounting procedures and financial reporting.
- A university undergraduate degree or equivalent in business or commerce, plus a recognized Canadian accounting designation (CPA)
- 10 plus years’ previous related experience in finance and accounting, preferably working with a not-for-profit organization
- At least 5 years should be at senior management level
- A broad understanding of the financial administration in the charity sector
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting functions, including GAAP / CICA guidelines, with particular emphasis on fund accounting and Part III Accounting Standards for Not-For-Profit Organizations (ASNPO)
- Thorough knowledge of financial reporting and auditing in a not for profit environment.
- Thorough knowledge of accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable and billing functions.
- Thorough knowledge of internal control best practices and their implementation
- Solid understanding of project and change management best practices
- Solid understanding of Canada Revenue Agency policies and requirements as they relate to charities, tax receipt issuance, etc
- Solid grounding in financial applications and spreadsheet analysis, particularly the use of database applications, queries and custom report generation
- Thorough understanding of the impact of technology on the finance and accounting function, particularly with respect to analysis and presentation of financial information
- Expressive and persuasive in both spoken and written language for individual and/or group situations (committees, management, senior management)
- Interprets, applies and presents highly complex information in an audience-appropriate manner
$160,000 - $175,000/year
How to Apply
Click the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions to submit your resume. Please note that we only accept documents in MS Word or Rich Text formats. When referencing this job, quote #22564.
You must currently reside within the Greater Toronto Area and be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity. A recruiter will be in touch with you if your profile meets our client’s requirements for this role.
Lannick is the premier professional recruitment and staffing firm in the Greater Toronto Area. Founded in 1985, Lannick provides best-in-class finance, accounting and technology professionals at all roles and levels through its three divisions: Lannick Finance & Accounting, Pro Count Staffing and Lannick Technology. Lannick places more than 1,000 candidates annually and is a preferred vendor for Canada’s most successful organizations. Learn more at www.lannick.com.