Senior Manager, Environmental Management - (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, or Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Reports to the Director, Environment Management Operations.
What you will do:
- Support the Business Units on the execution of global environmental programs as well as advising on individual projects, permitting and regulatory issues
- Identify and minimize environmental risks and liabilities and ensuring compliance with all applicable national and state laws and regulations
- Provide technical expertise and direction in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Nutrien’s environmental matters across the Potash, Nitrogen, Phosphate and Retail Business Units in Canada
- Strategy – Contribute to and implement Environmental Management strategy and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Play a key leadership role in the development and support of the greenhouse gas strategy
- Execution – Provide subject matter expertise to all business units across Canada specifically in area of air emissions, energy usage, permitting and greenhouse gas matters; work with operations to identify key risks that require support and governance; monitor and evaluate effectiveness, and implement changes required for continual improvement
- Represent Nutrien with outside entities such as regulatory agencies, industry associations and environmental consultants
- Regulatory - Provide guidance on regulations and new regulatory developments
- Anticipate the potential for environmental risk and minimize the impact of new or changing environmental regulations by recommending actions to management and managing implementation
- Compliance – Provide hands-on technical expertise in the compliance of all environmental regulatory issues with a focus on air emissions, energy usage, permitting and greenhouse gas matters; support Central SH&E Audit team with environmental matters
- Commitment – Develop and support projects that contribute to making Nutrien a strong steward of the environment
- Relationships - Develop and foster strong relationships with internal groups as well as regulators and industry associations to ensure the continued effectiveness of environmental programs
- Policies and Management Systems - Develop Nutrien policies and Global Standards to align with local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations as well as drive Nutrien’s commitment culture
- Steward the strategic vision of the department while effectively interacting with senior leaders across the entire business
- Steward the implementation of KPIs and Performance Measures (“PMs”)
- Actively mentoring other employees across the central Environmental team and Business
- Inspire the team to be an engaged workforce and develop people to their greatest ability
- Adhere to and promotes an appropriate set of core values and ethical conduct
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in either Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Hydrology or Chemistry
- 10+ years professional experience
- Strong knowledge of local, state / provincial, and federal laws and regulations. Strong technical expertise in the area of compliance and experience working with regulators
- Excellent working knowledge of environmental regulations and regulatory landscape and strong foundation in environmental engineering, environmental sciences or similar discipline (advanced qualifications in one of the above preferred)
- Ability to Travel 25% to 50% of the time depending on level of Subject Matter Expertise required
- Strong drive for achievement and strong influencing skills among multiple stakeholders
- Ability to build consensus and support for change initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate requirements and issues across and up the organization
- Solution-oriented with demonstrated ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with key stakeholders, peers and team members
- Passion for finding new and innovative trends in relevant industries
- Ability to manage complex projects that include both internal and external stakeholders, customers and regulators in a concise, efficient manner
- Proven ability to break down complex technical issues, into actionable solutions, that customers can implement
- Strong history of dedication and follow-through to meeting the expectations and requirements of customers
- Ability to makes strategic decisions based upon a mixture of data analysis, experience and judgment
- Quick learner, adapt to organizational changes, design and direct compliant workable business solutions in a changing regulatory environment
- Demonstrated ability to interface and work collaboratively across internal departments building strong and cooperative working relationships
- Demonstrated strong project management skills
- Self-motivated and highly organized, thrives in a dynamic environment
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran