Position: Senior Pharmacy Technician – Drug Procurement Management
Hours: Primarily Days, Monday to Friday. May require shift or weekend work (Hours are subject to change based on operational needs)
Site: Based at Oakville.May require travel to other hospital sites (Milton, Georgetown)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
This is what you will be doing:
The successful candidate will play a key role in the procurement and contract management of medication inventory for Halton Healthcare’s three Pharmacy sites and the Cancer Clinic based at Oakville. Inventory management is key in Halton Healthcare’s advanced medication distribution system, which features automation and unit-dose barcoded medication to enable the utilization of Bedside Medication Verification (BMV) and an electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) to ensure only barcoded medication is issued to patient care areas. The individual will also participate in drug shortage processes; inventory par level management, Meditech dictionary maintenance and managing of all issues and receipts to and from the Hospital. Additionally, there will be participation in various Quality improvement initiatives as well as ongoing Quality Assurance of the medication supply.
- Optimize drug inventory management, assist with back orders and shortages, support Special Access Program requests, Special Drugs Programs, and communicate with stakeholders regarding Pharmacy procurement and inventory issues
- Review of all invoices for correct pricing and discrepancy resolution as well as perpetual updating of the Meditech Pharmacy medication database with respect to formulary addition in addition to contract changes
- Opportunities for involvement with departmental training, education and certification activities; assist with planning, projects and initiatives related to medication management and the procurement and control of the medication inventory and relevant technologies
- Participate in and help coordinate the annual physical inventory
- Coordinate the rotation of drug inventory, returns/expiry, while determining medication supply volumes that would be at an acceptable level to meet the dynamic clinical demands of the hospital both at the Oakville hospital and in concert with Georgetown and Milton hospital pharmacy colleagues
- Collaborate with the DUE and DI Pharmacists, the Pharmacy Management team as well as other members of the healthcare team
- Communicate with external resources and entities in order to manage drug shortages, continual contract management changes and liaise with GPOs for real-time updates
- Participate in the set-up and coordination and maintenance of targeted medication therapies to be used in Clinical Research
- May be required to perform other tasks and duties as assigned
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Completion of a recognized college level Pharmacy Technician Program required
- Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Previous Hospital experience with unit dose and/or automated drug distribution system and intravenous admixture service required
- Previous experience with pharmaceutical product procurement, purchasing and inventory control functions in a Hospital setting preferred
- Experience with advanced computer applications and/or automated drug distribution technologies would be an asset
- Demonstrated high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, able to set priorities, work efficiently, and manage time effectively
- Superior communication skills that can be applied for interdisciplinary staff as well as external vendors, resources and contacts
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as participate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Previous leadership or teaching experience preferred
- Ability to handle stress and manage conflict in a professional, effective manner
- Excellent problem recognition and problem solving skills
- Committed to service excellence and patient safety
- Flexible, punctual and have a satisfactory employment and attendance record
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position
Date Posted: July 28, 2020
Internal applications due by: August 4, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
W e thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.