SENIOR PLATFORM SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
- Participate in analysis and definition of system requirements, with focus on ship structure and hull outfitting, which impact on the ability of the CSC design to achieve classification society design approvals and certificates from certification authorities
- Assist with facilitating and overseeing subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical purchase specifications relating to ship structures and outfitting.
- Facilitate and oversee subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical specifications relating to structures to be developed in support of the build process including, cradles, temporary transportation and lifting structures, specialized jigs and other structural and outfit products required in the build process.
- Assist with change management activities which impact with ship structures, hull outfitting, naval architecture, classification society approvals, and certification from certifying authorities.
- Assist with the review of ship structural arrangements, analysis, and class comments in technical design reviews.
- Ensure the design products adequately reflect facility limitations, capabilities, and build methodology.
- Participate in the development of processes and procedures related to Platform Systems Engineering with focus on structural design, outfitting, naval architecture and production activities.
- Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producibility, shipyard safety, and production performance Develop and fostering client and subcontractor(s) relationships.
- Participate in negotiations with equipment and material vendors and support the review of vendor design products and vendor information.
- Address risk items relating to the structures, hull outfitting and naval architecture areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning.
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of development of the CSC design Develop and foster client, subcontractor, and classification society relationships Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and proactive behavior within the Platform Systems Team
Experience & Qualifications:
- Degree in a discipline of Naval Architecture or equivalent ·
- Meets the pre-requisites to eventually achieve Professional Engineering status with Engineers Nova Scotia.
- 15 plus years of ship design experience in the field of naval architecture, ship structural design and outfitting.
- Experience working on naval combatant design and build projects with involvement in the design, build and seatrials aspects of the lifecycle.
- Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for vessel designs, structures and products.
- Experience in the subject areas of ship stability, weight estimating, hull girder strength, superstructures, equipment foundations, tertiary steel items, doors, hatches, ladders and fittings.
- Experience with designing ship structures, using FEA, in respect to static and fatigue service life based on voyage profiles.
- Experience with naval areas of shock and ship signatures and the impacts on ship structures.
- Experience preparing design products for a ship design or major ship upgrade design program.
- Experience interfacing and working with subcontractors.
- Strong personal time management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information please contact Aimee Wragg on firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.