The Senior Procurement Specialist is responsible for the negotiation and procurement of direct-buy materials and services required in support of new vessels constructed by Seaspan Shipyards under the Federal Fleet Renewal Program (FFRP) in accordance with procurement and contracting best practises, Seaspan’s Industrial and Regional Benefits (IRB) obligations and commitments, customer requirements and the Seaspan purchasing policy.
- Research and identify potential suppliers capable of supplying equipment and/or services required for direct-buy shipyard procurements.
- Lead the sourcing, bid evaluation, selection, procurement and delivery of materials and services required in support of new vessels constructed by Seaspan Shipyards.
- Lead the proponent evaluation, selection, negotiation and execution of purchase orders and contracts. Ensure that purchase order and contract terms and conditions incorporate technical, schedule, Industrial and Regional Benefits, quality and classification society requirement and Seaspan Shipyard’s terms and conditions; including flow down of the terms and conditions of the Design and Build prime contracts as and when required.
- Act as liaison between Suppliers and the technical leads/project managers in respect to materials and services procurement to ensure technical requirements, schedules and cost targets are fully achieved.
- Act as liaison between Suppliers and Production Planning and Control to support the development of production schedules.
- Act as liaison between Suppliers and Estimating to support the development of cost models and estimates.
- For the acquisition of Vendor Furnished Information (VFI), conduct formal solicitation processes to gather required VFI to support design completion by Engineering.
- Perform evaluations of potential suppliers including researching historical performance and financial strength.
- Validate supplier references through contact with previous customers.
- Ensure that purchase orders are approved in accordance with Seaspan policies and execute the purchase orders in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for the verification and follow up on the status of material deliveries under open purchase orders and communication to appropriate stakeholders of changes.
- Expedite suppliers as required to ensure on-time delivery of material and completion of services.
- Ensure that product manuals, material certifications and other required documents have been received with delivered materials, as specified on the purchase order or contract.
- Reconcile any purchases made using purchasing cards.
- May be required to approve invoices for payment or to support resolution of issues/discrepancies between invoice and order to facilitate payment.
Education and Experience
- Professional certification or training through an accredited procurement society such as the Purchasing Management Association of Canada (PMAC) or American Purchasing Society or The Association for Operations Management (APICS) CPIM program is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of sourcing, bid evaluation, negotiation and execution of various types of purchase agreements as part of a Procurement organization, preferably in shipbuilding or a manufacturing environment.
- Post-secondary education in Business considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong procurement skill set/knowledge of competitive bid processes.
- Experience working from bills of material in a manufacturing/MRP-system driven environment.
- Previous experience is the acquisition of major equipment, raw materials, fabricated materials, build-to-specification materials and commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) products used in used in new vessel construction.
- Knowledge of and practice in the application of Controlled Goods Regulations to procurement activities.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Previous experience working alongside technical teams.
- Strong customer service focus and interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record of working with manufacturing bills of materials and candidate equipment lists and product specifications to acquire materials and equipment; previous experience with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Enterprise Resource Planning software application would be an asset.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Intermediate level computer skills including Word/Excel/Powerpoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good business judgment and reasoning skills.
- A high degree of business ethics and integrity.