Viking is seeking a Senior Structures Engineer - Designated Engineer to join the Customer Service and Product Support (CSPS) division in Calgary.
Viking Air Limited is the global leader providing support and services, and manufacturing of utility, specialty, and fire-fighting aircraft. Viking provides OEM support for the global fleet of de Havilland DHC-1 through DHC-7 and the Bombardier CL-215, 215T and 415 aircraft.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
The primary purpose of the Senior Structures Engineer - DE is:
- Provide support for developing engineering solutions supporting Viking's operating fleet and meeting the customer's and Viking's requirements.
- Develop engineering design solutions and analysis for repairs and project activities. Work with internal and external engineering resources to develop sound solutions.
- Support DAO activities in a multi-disciplinary specialist role, which will include making findings of compliance as delegated.
- Apply project management, systems engineering, and Viking business practices in managing internal and external work enabling satisfaction of project outcomes.
- Mentor other Viking employees.
- Participate in intra-company coordination supporting the efficient execution of work activities.
- Ensure application of professional standards and company processes are followed in accomplishing work activities.
- Ensure safety and airworthiness of the fleet is prioritized in providing fleet support engineering services.
- Strive to improve and develop internal practices and processes applying continuous improvement and Lean philosophies.
- Always represent Viking in a professional and courteous manner in every communication with customers or prospective customers. Strive to achieve world class customer service performance.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- DAO Support: Perform and support TCCA delegate functions defined under the CARs and Viking's DAPM, specifically aspects related to design, substantiation and ICA development, acceptance and approval.
- Specialist Engineering: Provide design, analysis, and support airworthiness certification and other project activities from a multi-disciplinary perspective supporting Viking's operating fleet. Apply existing processes and support the development of new processes for fleet engineering support activities. Coordinate with management to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and efficiency in supporting company objectives.
- Engineering Project Execution: Manage engineering projects utilizing both internal and external resources ensuing engineering projects are planned and executed following prescribed and accepted project management and systems engineering practices and processes supporting successful project outcomes.
- Engineering Department Management Support: Support department management aspects such as resource and capacity planning, personnel development, and intracompany coordination. Support the development of processes that promote efficient work activities based on application of Lean philosophies.
- R2E / Continual Improvement: Actively participate in Viking R2E program. Assist in the development of standard work for all division activities respecting Lean practices. Understand metrics that measure key performance parameters. Strive to achieve world class levels of customer service in every interaction our clients have with Viking.
EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Currently, or within the previous 12 months, hold a TC airworthiness delegation and be eligible to be delegated as a Structures DE within Viking Air Limited.
- Minimum 1 year of experience as a Transport Canada delegate person.
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering.
- 15 years' experience in aircraft structures design, structural repair design, and structural analysis.
- 5 years' experience supporting airworthiness certification under a TCCA framework.
- Knowledge of aircraft repair and manufacturing practices.
- Ability to apply sound engineering principles to solve technical problems and participate in process development.
- Experience with engineering design data development and document revision.
- Experience with engineering change management.
- Experience with engineering project management.
- Ability to read and interpret aircraft engineering drawings and aircraft service manuals and service documents.
- Experience supporting aircraft in operations and maintenance environments.
- Experience in a customer support environment.
- Ability to communicate well orally and in writing.
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Ability to estimate, manage work, adjust priorities to suit demands, track project performance, and report progress and issues.
- Ability to mentor more junior team members and to support the participation of others supporting Viking's work.
- Ability to create documents/data using MS Office programs and AutoCAD are required. CATIA and SOLIDWORKS are assets.
- Experience with the CL-215/415 aircraft and operators is an asset.
We thank all candidates for applying, however; only selected applicants will be contacted.