Inter Pipeline is a major petroleum transportation, storage and natural gas liquids processing business that ranks among the largest energy infrastructure companies in Canada. We are proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers, which recognizes Alberta businesses that lead their industries by being exceptional places to work.
The individual in the Shift Supervisor – PP role will report to the Operations Manager, Polypropylene (PP). The Shift Supervisor – PP role will assist the Operations Manager - PP during the pre-operational phase to prepare the facility for operations. This will include tasks such as the development of commissioning and operational procedures, onboarding and training of new hires, development of shift management systems, and leading commissioning system walk downs and turnover from construction. During the operational phase, the Shift Supervisor - PP utilizes operational knowledge, expertise and skills to provide leadership to shift operators to operate the PP facility safely and reliably, supporting the overall integration and profitability of the Heartland Petrochemical Complex. This role will initially be based out of our Sherwood Park office. The role will then transition to the Heartland Petrochemical Complex in the Strathcona County area in Q1 2020.
Key Activities and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to operating and commissioning teams to commission projects allowing for smooth transition and hand-off to from project to operations
- Provide input to commissioning planning, facility systems definition and turnover sequences
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures and emergency procedures for facility operation
- Assist in start-up and shutdown activities as required (i.e. preparation and execution of procedures for equipment isolation, maintenance preparation, etc.)
- Supervise PP plant operations during a scheduled shift and ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with standard operating procedures, operational directives, safety requirements and environmental regulations
- Ensure timely review and updates to operating procedures, including management of change for procedures
- Participate and support initiatives to improve safety culture at all levels of operations
- Active member of the Emergency Response Team on site
- Effectively communicate & collaborate with, mentor, motivate, and develop the operations shift team members
- Lead shift change and daily operations meetings by clearly communicating shift goals, safety requirements and production targets to operators
- Develop operator tasks, operator round requirements and appropriate shift handover reports and logs
- Manage emergency response actions to effectively and safely deal with upset operating conditions
- Work with Senior Operations Specialists and technical personnel to monitor and optimize process conditions
- Coordinate key operational activities between shifts by working with incoming/outgoing Shift Supervisor to ensure fulfillment of operational goals and targets
- Ensure that shift operators follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the execution of scheduled tasks
- Coordinate with other plant Supervision to maintain optimum operating conditions within the Heartland Petrochemical Complex (HPC)
- Coordinate maintenance activities, notifications, and work orders to ensure minimal disruption to production and plant operations
- Provide leadership to shift team during shutdowns / turnarounds / outages; ensure operational activities are planned and efficiently executed to ensure schedule and safety compliance
- Lead start-up and shutdown activities as required i.e. preparation and execution of procedures for equipment isolation, maintenance preparation, etc.
- Ensure required training is provided to operators and plant personnel
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Must have 15 or more years of industry-related petrochemical experience
- Previous experience with Unipol licensed technology is an asset, but not a requirement
- Certificate in power engineering (minimum 3rd class, or ability to obtain 3rd class) and preferably post-secondary education
- Strong analytical skills, strong communication and technical writing abilities, attention to detail and well-developed interpersonal skills are required
- Must demonstrate leadership and teambuilding qualities
- This position requires the ability to work rotating, 12-hour day/night shifts
As this position is identified as safety sensitive, employment of a final candidate will be conditional upon completion of pre-employment medical and drug/alcohol assessments with satisfactory results.