SA Energy Group is a 50/50 General Partnership between Robert B. Somerville and Aecon Utilities. The partnership combines the strength of two Canadian construction companies. The partnership has substantial experience with large diameter pipeline construction.
Since 2012, SA Energy Group has successfully constructed more than 1,500 kilometres of large diameter pipeline for a variety of clients in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. All projects were completed on schedule, without environmental incident, with outstanding safety and quality performance, full regulatory compliance and meaningful stakeholder engagement.
Company operating name: SA Energy Group
Business legal name: SA Energy Group
Business address: 110-9th Avenue SW, Suite 300 Calgary, AB, Canada
Title of position: Side Boom Operator
NOC: NOC 7521 Heavy Equipment Operators
Location of Work: Central British Columbia near Vanderhoof, BC, Canada
Office Location: Central British Columbia near Vanderhoof, BC, Canada
Terms of Employment: This is a 2 year contract position with seasonal breaks
Employment Conditions: Morning, Day, Evening, Weekend
Start Date: August 2020
Number of positions: 30
Travel Requirements: Travel will be required throughout central British Columbia.
Essential Function and Responsibilities
Experienced pipeline side boom operators for lower-in and tie-in operations responsible for the safe operation in crowded, fast-paced working environments.
- Effectively and safely operate side boom (Caterpillar PL87 or Caterpillar 594) for lower-in and tie-ins operations with NPS 48 pipe
- Operate side boom in adverse terrain, on slopes and in winter conditions with extreme caution and awareness of potential situational hazards to ensure site safety
- Follow engineered lift plans
- Prepare accident reports
- Read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications
- Utilize material safety data sheets
- Read, understand and implement equipment load charts
- Operate Side Boom safely with complete awareness of all personnel working around the machine
- Conduct pre-trip/walk-around safety inspections, maintain equipment logbook and identify and report any maintenance concerns with the equipment
- Conduct preoperational checks on equipment
- Operate two way radios and other communication equipment
- Follow direction from Supervisors
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Completion of a one- to two-year apprenticeship program or some high school, college or industry courses in heavy equipment operating combined with on-the-job training are required
- 2-3-years’ of experience operating side booms (PL87/594) on large diameter (> 36”) pipeline construction projects
- 2-3 years’ experience interpreting load charts and lift plans
- 2-3 years’ experience identifying rigging requirements
- 2-3 years’ experience to understand the capacity of each component and the relationships between the length of the boom, boom angle, length of cable, cable size and load limits
- Must successfully complete pre-access drug and alcohol testing
- Must ensure that all project rules and procedures are followed
- Must be a team player and work well with others
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly rate is $54.12/hour straight time with potential for annual increase
- The position is eligible for overtime. All hours worked in excess of 8 hours per day and in excess of 40 hours per week shall be paid at 1.5 times the straight time rate. All hours worked in excess of 12 hours per day and all hours worked on Sunday shall be paid at 2 times the straight time rate
- All compensation and benefits will be in accordance with the Project Labour Agreement
- Project work schedule is Monday to Saturday 10-12 hours per day
- 10% vacation pay will be provided in accordance with the Project Labour Agreement
- Camp accommodations are provided while working on site. All employee accommodations will have private lavatory facilities.
- Transportation to camp provided
- Transportation to BC provided
Working Conditions and Environment
- Primary work location at site near Vanderhoof, BC with work and travel required throughout central BC.
- Working outdoors in heat.
110 9th Ave. SW, Suite 300, Calgary, AB, T2P 0T1
Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.
Upon request, Aecon accommodates candidates with disabilities throughout the hiring process.