Position : Social Worker
Department: Social Work and Patient Flow
Status: Part-Time (must provide availability up to 0.8 FTE)
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 hour day shifts (Hours subject to change based on the operational needs of the organization)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
This is what you will be doing:
As part of a multi-discipline team, the incumbent will provide clinical social work and discharge planning services to inpatients in the 2 North Regional Unit and as the site requires.
- Conduct comprehensive social work and psychosocial assessments on inpatients, using a variety of modalities and in accordance with professional standards, clinical policies and practices.
- Alone or in collaboration with other team members, provide selected therapeutic interventions to patients and families, supportive counseling and education, group interventions, case management, resource co-ordination, community outreach and advocacy.
- Coordination, formulation/development, documentation, and implementation of care plan for hospital discharge and safe transition back to community or institutional setting.
- In collaboration with professional colleagues on the unit, promote high standards of ethical clinical care.
- Participate in team conferences, educational/interdisciplinary rounds, and educational rounds.
- Participate on hospital committees as needed.
- Liaison with Public Guardian and Trustee as needed.
- Active liaison with community partners, including initiatives to improve collaborations, develop new resources
- Intervene to alleviate high risk or vulnerable situations (elder abuse/neglect, homelessness, Substance abuse, isolated mental health patients, etc.)
- Engage patient (and family) in problem-solving, enable goal-setting and assist with adjustment related to health issues (engaging, palliation, new diagnosis, etc.)
- Formulate a plan of action to accomplish identified goals
- Provide resource counseling though education and information as needed
- Provide leadership and guidance to the health care team
- Resolve complex issues with patient/family/SDM/POA through use of conflict resolution meetings, providing mediation and advocacy with both internal and external partners
- Ensure capacity of patient is determined prior to seeking Next-of-kin, SDM involvement for decision-making and ensure that team aware of appropriate SDM
- Facilitate process for determination of Capacity for finances (under HCCA and MHA legislation)
- Attendance at unit rounds to collaborate regarding patient care, information sharing, decision making and enabling patient flow
- Collaboration and information sharing with community partners within the “circle of care”; this includes, but is not limited to community resources such as SDL, retirement homes, respite and convalescent care facilities, Long Term Care homes, Hospice, Public Guardian and Trustee, transportation services, Adult Day Programs, Social Services, etc.)
- Provide education to the team if indicated around Capacity and Substitute Decision makers, POA, guardianship, Court appointments, SDM rankings, Public Guardian and Trustee involvement) as it pertains under the HCCA, Mental Health act and or Substitute Decisions Act
- Advocate both within the healthcare setting and the community for the removal of systemic barriers that negatively impact on the delivery of health care and the continuity of care of our services to our patients, their families, the organization and our community.
- Appropriately escalate issues to Social Work and Patient Flow Manager and Director within expected timelines
- Identify “hard to serve” and “hard to place” patients in advance, engage Senior Leadership as appropriate
- Demonstrate systemic understanding and execution of the hospital processes and bed flow needs (i.e.: Overcapacity Policy, surge processes, Home First Processes)
This is what you will need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- BSW or MSW required
- Current registration and membership in good standing with OCSWSSW
- Experience providing scope of practice social work to inpatients on an acute inpatient rehabilitation unit
- CBT and Brief Solution Focused therapy experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of community resources and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with community partners.
- Familiarity with Mental Health Act, Consent to Treatment Act, Substitute Decisions Act, and Healthcare Consent Act.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an evidence-based practice approach.
- Comprehensivepsychosocial assessment, counseling and case coordination skills.
- Previous experience working with the Public Guardian and Trustee Office.
- Familiarity with special populations such as geriatrics, dual diagnosis, concurrent disorders and forensics would be a distinct asset.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record
Date Posted: March 17, 2020
Internal applications due by: March 24, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.ca directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. , We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.