SOFTWARE ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
This is a permanent full time position located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Manager Cybersecurity, you will be responsible for developing the oversight program for software security for all developmental software systems to be deployed in the Canadian Surface Combatant, including but not limited to:
- Support the development of the software assurance posture for the Canadian Surface Combatant
- Support the development of the Ship Systems Security Plan for the CSC platform
- Support the development of the Security Requirements Traceability Matrix
- Support the development of the Security Assessment Plan and Associated Reports
- Support the development of the Ship Systems Design Description
- Conduct security assessments of the software security of systems design, and provide recommendations to mitigate threats vectors
- Liaise with Canadian government security agencies.
The role will also include overseeing elements and measures designed to assess the maturity levels of software coding processes used by developers. Working collaboratively in a Cross Product Team environment you will provide guidance and advice to subcontractor teams on secure coding standards, and techniques to guard against the top vulnerabilities such as the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) top 10 vulnerabilities and SANS top 25 coding errors. You will provide subject matter expertise to various software design teams on analysis tools, testing and interpret reports to quantify the risk posed by the developed code.
- Provide independent oversight for the requirements definition, design, integration and testing for all aspects of the CSC developed software and other associated software programs provided by the Subcontractors, including assessing developer maturity
- Work with the Subcontractors to develop secure coding standards for software requirements, specification documentation and software assurance documentation
- Work with the Subcontractors to develop software testing processes for assurance, test document data item deliverables and software assurance documentation
- Participate in the CSC Combat Systems Land-Based Facilities, Platform Systems and other IPTs as needed to provide software assurance oversight and guidance
- Develop plans, procedures and processes as required in support of program requirements
- Provide accurate status reports on assigned activities to the Manager Cybersecurity
- As required assist in security and risk assessment of systems using developed software
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program, Combat System and Platform Engineering personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government representatives)
- Provide support in evaluating software engineering changes presented by the subcontractor to ensure impacts or risks to integration activities and software integrity and security are understood and recorded
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and proactive behavior within the Combat Systems team
Experience & Qualifications:
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in an Engineering Discipline, Computer Science, Math, Physics or equivalent
- A minimum of five years’ experience in the following fields:
- Software requirements analysis, design and development
- Software integration, de-bugging and testing
- Experience writing technical design and performance assessment documentation
- Engineering or technical execution or management on large and complex defence projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
For more information please contact Krista Shah as email@example.com
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.