Executive Chef, Food & Beverage
DEPARTMENT / DIVISION:
Kitchen / Food & Beverage
As a multi-award winning facility, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre has hosted over 18,000 events and has entertained over 55 million guests. With 460,000 sq ft of exhibit space, including two multi-purpose ballrooms, and a beautiful 1,232-seat theatre, it is no wonder over 500 events are hosted every year. Whether the event is of a grand or intimate nature, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre pairs unrivaled service and quality with a warm, yet striking setting that makes a lasting impression on guests.
Interested in joining a fast-paced hospitality team? Then we may be the fit you're looking for! The Kitchen department is currently looking for a Sous Chef. Reporting to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, the purpose of this role being to delegate staff and ensure success in accomplishing high quality of preparation standards set by Executive Chef. The successful candidate is a customer service oriented individual with experience in high volume cooking in a fast paced environment.
The ideal candidate will help create exceptional dining experiences for guests by providing contemporary and innovative menu solutions delivered by a team of culinary professional. Acts as a role model in customer service by supporting all corporate initiatives related to training and represents the company through exceptional interpersonal relations both internally and externally. Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and senior management team members through active collaboration and participation in all required meetings. Supports culinary education through the introduction of new technology, cooking and preparation methods into the kitchen while supporting local where appropriate and mentoring associates. Engage in standard operating procedures that guarantee quality products and efficiencies in food and labour costs. Ensure a safe and hygienic working environment.
1. Menu Design:
- Support culinary team in menu pricing, design with consumer tastes, nutritional considerations, local ingredients, market trends, client requirements and budgetary constraints in mind
- Engineers menus with purchasing specifications, recipe costings and yield tests to create recipe presentation and production standards
- Collaborates with Cost Control and Purchasing in establishing suppliers and specifications
2. Health & Safety:
- Enforces safety and sanitation practices in kitchen
- Oversees proper equipment usage, productivity and maintenance
3. Human Resources:
- Provides culinary instruction and demonstration
- Coaches and mentors culinary team
- Ensures apprenticeship program is operational and runs in accordance with industry and certification standards
- Supports company mandated training programs through visible participation
- Assists recruitment and hiring process
- Participates in all MTCC recognition programs
- Support Executive chef in annual zero based budget for food cost, labour costs and direct expenses
- Support and help achieve and maintain labour and food costs as required
- Reviews inventory and recommends appropriate par stock levels to achieve maximum turnover
- Recommends departmental kitchen operational purchases
- Attends all required meetings
- Participates in culinary/hospitality associations on behalf of the MTCC
- Participates in client meetings/tastings as required
- Facilitates and support the coordination of culinary events/competitions and activities
- Participates in business development and client relations activities
- Acts as a hospitality ambassador at internal and external functions
- Brings forward new ideas in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Coach & guide associates to develop their ability to make decisions
- Uses Company supplied devices to communicate effectively respond in a time efficient manner.
- Utilizes company platforms and applications including (but not limited to) ADACO, EBMS and Workforce, Outlook, Excel
Other duties may be assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Completion of a High School Diploma and professional and trade certification (Red Seal) or equivalent
- 3-5 years of work experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of high volume cooking and contemporary cuisines, cold food preparations
- Hotel/Convention/Restaurant experience is an asset
- Personal and job hygiene, WHIMIS, health and safety
- Customer Service oriented
- Basic computer skills
- Fluent in English
For a behind the scenes look at how our team helps our customers create successful events, visit our Instagram page:
Interested applicants are asked to submit their application no later than:
May 17, 2019
Please note: The Metro Toronto Convention Centre is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. During any stage of the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation.