Sr. Designer - Women's Bags-032425
Primary Location: CAN-British Columbia-Vancouver
What you will do (External)
The Sr Accessories Designer at lululemon creates world class athletic apparel that is acknowledged as leading in innovation, design, function, fit and quality. Under the mentorship of and collaboration with the Design Director (and/or SVPs men’s/women’s Design in lieu) as well as the VP, Merchandising Design, Accessories you create and develop the line for your designated classes/sub-classes from inception of ideas to production of garments. You support in designing and executing seasonal collections that reflect lululemon’s ethos.
You combine active product use experience, market knowledge, trend research, and collaboration between lululemon designers to create functional, innovative, quality designs.
You partner with our athletes and ambassadors to continually elevate and innovate our product.
Teamwork and clear communication are essential. You work cross functionally within design, development and raw materials team members, and with key partners – merchants, sourcing managers, training team, etc. ensuring your teams have the most up to date product information, gates and dates are kept ‘on-time and in-full’ and any direct and/or indirect report-to’s are supported in their development
You have razor sharp attention to detail around both product and process towards building product which lives up to our Accessories product design principles.
• Have an informed point of view and be an expert on silhouette, fabric, trim, technology, and trend through travel, research, and product usage experience
• Design and build a cohesive collection of functional beautiful styles
• Ability to quickly and accurately communicate design vision through technical and detailed sketches
• Prepare and effectively present design concepts that communicate seasonal direction clearly. Research, ideate, sketch and create mood, fabric, trim, materials boards etc. as appropriate to support your styles
• Responsible for the clear communication of product information through technical sketches so color legends, prototypes and BOM’s can be created
• Responsible for fitting styles to accurately communicate their design intent
• Responsible for ensuring all styles deliver our standards of quality, beauty and function to our guest in full and on time as per our GTM calendars and key gates and dates.
• Responsible for writing “Why We Made This” lines for all of styles you are personally designing
• Collaborate with Product Development, Raw Materials and White Space teams on the testing of products and fabrics by athletes and ensure results are incorporated into design concepts. Partner with the in-house make facilities to create mock ups and prototypes as appropriate
• Strong awareness of what’s trending in sports and mindfulness industry – research
• Awareness of how the line is currently performing in stores - work in the stores (monthly schedule TBD), lead design meetings, partner with athletes and ambassadors and action feedback for continual innovation of product
• Responsible for understanding the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins
• Responsible for performance evaluations, hiring and consistent coaching of designated design team member(s).
• Travel to offshore factories as needed
• Develop and mentor Design Assistants
• Be a leader on the retail floor and on the design/production team
• Know and be an expert in the yoga and fitness community
• A leader on the team that coaches, mentors and elevates others
• BA, BFA or BS in (Industrial) Design required (or equivalent)
• MA if applicable
Our “must haves”:
• 6+ years relevant industry experience in fashion accessories
• 2+ years experience leading and managing team members
• Expert knowledge of hardgoods/equipment and soft goods cut n sew construction, patterning, textiles, trims, sewing techniques and technology applications.
• Natural ability to oversee and lead team members in the design and development of product, ensuring commercial viability with the Product Developer, Raw Materials Developer, Merchant and Sourcing Manager
• Adhere to strict timelines and calendar dates to deliver exceptional product, on-time
• Proficient use of Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Excel, Word, Mac platform
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally
• Past experience communicating with offshore factories
• Actively live and breathe the lululemon culture and lifestyle
• Natural curiosity towards new ideas, innovations and technologies that help us push our product forward
• Entrepreneurial spirit
• Egoless nature
• Leader and coach
• Approachable and available
• Passionate and knowledgeable about yoga, run, and athletics
• May have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time (approx 20lbs.)
• Will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
• Incumbent may find environment to be busy and noisy