GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Site Inspector to join our team in Waterloo, ON.
Superintendents are responsible for the scheduling, coordination and supervision of trade employees and assigned staff as well as heavy equipment, tools and materials necessary on various sized construction projects. On larger projects, the Superintendent may supervise multiple Foremen or sub-trade contractors. Superintendents work under the general guidance and direction of a Project Manager or Construction Manager.
- Being committed to and responsible for GHD’s Safety Culture and be actively involved in project Health and Safety, including:
- Embracing and enforcing the site and corporate Health and Safety Plans
- Reviewing project hazards and participating in Job Hazard Analysis
- Performing pre-task planning
- Briefing trades persons before assigning new tasks
- Participating in incident investigation and reporting
- Organizing and planning field activities for trades persons and equipment resources
- Overseeing work performance and productivity of trades persons and subcontractors to ensure project rules, procedures, specifications, safety requirements are followed
- Understanding the project contract/scope and advise project management of potential changes (scope and conditions), potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, assist in circumventing / resolving such problems as required
- Assisting in planning work schedule, determining manpower levels, material quantities, equipment requirements, subcontractor scheduling, etc. throughout the project
- Responsible for safety training and mentoring of direct reports and subcontractors
- Providing occasional assistance with the preparation of supporting documentation including bill of materials, databases, testing plans, schedules, and related contract documents
- Overseeing and controlling day-to-day field operations
- Site safety and security, devise and implement site policies and procedures
- Conducting regular project inspections and maintenance of systems and equipment
- Keeping daily records and logs in accordance with company and regulatory requirements
- Assisting in procurement phase including development of scopes of work, purchase orders and change orders
- Coordinating and liaising with clients, suppliers, sub-consultants, sub-contractors, inspectors and regulatory authorities
- Attending onsite meetings including preparation of agendas and meeting notes
- Inspecting field work to ensure accordance with plans and specifications
- Traveling to project sites as required
- Assisting in the preparation of closeout documentation and Operations and Maintenance Manuals
- Construction, architecture or mechanical engineering degree/diploma
- 2 to 5 years of construction Site Supervision background, or an equivalent combination of technical training and industry experience
- Proven experience in delivering Industrial, Environmental and Construction projects
- Proven understanding of industry standards within construction, Health and Safety codes and regulations
- Strong organizational skills and the flexibility to deal with changing priorities
- Self-motivated attitude with a strong desire to learn and lead others.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues concisely
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel to project sites
- Valid class G driver's license
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work/life balance contributes to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.