The Supervisor, Accounting Operations is responsible for the supervision of the Corporate Accounting Transaction Services Team, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable. In addition, the Supervisor is responsible for sub-ledger maintenance, account reconciliations, A/P, A/R, internal and external recording and reporting of these financial transactions.
The Supervisor will focus on day-to-day accounting operations, supervision of six unionized Accounting Clerks, review weekly A/P and A/R batches, resolution with Approvers throughout the Company, assist with reconciliations and complex A/P challenges that need adequate time to resolve, as directed by and with the support of the Manager, Accounting Operations.
- Oversees daily operations of the Accounting department, including assessing, monitoring and fulfilling staff requirements.
- Conducts performance appraisals including providing accounting staff feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Consults with Human Resources on various MoveUp union employee related issues as needed.
- Expedites processing of accounts payable, including following up with approvals.
- Ensures accounts payable payments are sent for approval in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews and posts all batches, accruals and adjustments prepared by the Accounting staff.
- Assists with administration of Accounts Payable system (in-house program - TAC/TAP) setups, issues and resets.
- Assists with maintaining cheque listings and downloading reports (Cheque Fraud Protection).
- Assists with filing and payment of taxes (GST, PST, corporate, payroll).
- Balances A/R and A/P sub-ledgers to general ledger monthly.
- Reconciles various accounts and maintains balance sheet working papers on a monthly basis, as assigned.
- Assists with the annual audit as required by preparing working papers and schedules and responding to enquiries.
- Prepares other reports and analysis as requested.
- Participates in the establishment of policies and procedures for the accounts payable, receivable, and invoicing functions.
- Assists with process and procedure documentation.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting and/or equivalent are desirable;
- Working towards completion of a professional accounting designations: CPA is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive accounting experience that includes experience with account reconciliations, managing accounts payable and receivable
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing team members, with a preference of experience with unions
- Experience with JD Edwards Enterprise One (ERP) and Business Intelligence or equivalent
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Customer service orientation, self-starter and initiative driven
- Strong analytical skills to understand large and complex account reconciliations (vendor accounts & Goods Received Note)
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Team player with strong abilities in prioritizing multiple tasks and ensuring all deadlines are met
- Thorough knowledge of financial practices and procedures
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines
- Understanding of related auditing and Information Technology functions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and effective listening skills
- Must be able to manage and direct staff in ways that ensure their productivity
- Maintain the highest degree of professionalism and confidentiality in all matters