The Supervisor, Materials Control & Warehousing is responsible for managing a team of Materials Control Coordinators, Storespersons and Warehousing Operations at Seaspan Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) in support of New Ship Construction.
The Supervisor determines staff requirements in accordance with budgets and oversees work assignments for the area of responsibility. The role plans, schedules and monitors inbound movement of materials from suppliers. Accountable for determining materials requirements and coordinates the efficient movement of materials with purchasing, production and engineering while adhering to safety, quality, environmental standards and policies & procedures. To ensure standards are met the role will regularly check on performance, conduct performance management tasks, including but not limited to: disciplining staff, approving staff time cards, leave requests and ensuring the collective agreement is applied equitably.
The scope of the role includes coordination of the safe and secure incoming delivery, receipt, storage, tracking, kitting and issuing of materials and equipment required for New Ship Construction and ship repair that are purchased as Raw materials. The role requires an individual with demonstrated inventory management experience for a complex variety of materials (i.e. steel, pipe, mechanical, consumables).
The position reports directly to the Manager, Shipyard Materials Control and requires significant interaction with other Trade Managers.
- Supervision of direct report Trades and Salary staff by setting goals, assigning work, providing training and coaching on day to day activities, vacation scheduling, evaluating performance and discipline.
- Supervise and schedule all inbound/outbound freight, receiving, inventory control, order picking and delivery of VSY, supplier and Subcontractor incoming shipments to end users.
- Efficient operation of Warehousing within the shipyard including the service counter where trades acquire materials and consumables for ongoing ship construction and ship repair activities.
- Timekeeping administration of direct and indirect reports.
- Partners with Trade Supervisors/Managers to ensure trade workers have the required kitted materials delivered per schedule to ensure required planned work activities can be completed in support of production timelines.
- Assign work with optimal utilization of available skills, knowledge and experience, labour hours, machines and tools to obtain most optimal and favorable costs, accuracy, and completeness.
- Maintain close surveillance over larger, more critical transfers, orders, or receipts.
- Plan appropriate levels of Materials Control staffing in accordance with skill requirements in a multi-shift unionized shipyard operation.
- Maintain inventory accuracy by conducting physical counts, reconciling variances and inputting data.
- Investigate inventory discrepancies and work to ensure that future discrepancies are minimized.
- Keep warehouse equipment operating by enforcing operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, scheduled preventive maintenance adherence and calling for repairs.
- Plan warehouse layout and space requirements in order to prevent loss or damage, achieve full warehouse optimization and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure a clean and safe working environment by observing all company safety policies and procedures.
- Lead and serve as a role model for others in the organization by consistent demonstration of high ethical standards.
- Implements HSEQ plans on shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity along with all reporting employees.
- Responsible for all discipline, including performance/attendance management, termination of employment, as well as promotion and/or demotion of bargaining unit employees.
- Ensure all employees are provided with a work environment that is respectful and harassment free.
- Works with disability and rehabilitation consultants in assisting injured employees to return to work on graduated return by identifying appropriate tasks and conditions.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by management.
Education & Experience
- College degree or Trades certification is preferred.
- Minimum of 20 years demonstrated warehousing operations experience in a heavy manufacturing environment, steel and pipe knowledge with minimum 10 years at a supervisory level.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise a minimum of 25 unionized Materials Control warehouse employees and salaried staff.
- Professional certification or enrolment in an accredited institution such as the BCIT Materials Management Certification or The Association for Supply Chain Management (APICS).
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate (ground and air).
- Experience in defining warehouse processes and procedures, staff recruitment, training and performance management.
- Experience in utilization of tier 1 MRP and ERP software applications for the receipt, storage, tracking, picking, kitting and issuing of materials and equipment; previous experience with IFS Applications and/or JD Edwards software applications would be an asset.
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (welding, metal fabrication, pipefitting, mechanical, rigging, heavy lifting).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge and background in materials management which supports a manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of WorkSafe BC safety regulations as they pertain to warehouse operations and handling of hazardous materials.
- Maintain appropriate and complete documentation regarding regulated products and/or hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of and practice in the application of Controlled Goods and International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) Regulations.
- Take into account full implications of size, weight, and other factors when allocating storage space.
- Demonstration of exemplary business ethics, integrity and honesty in all situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Intermediate level computer skills including Microsoft Office suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Access).
- Ability to work effectively under highly demanding schedules with limited direction and function as a key team member.
- Strong customer service, organizational, analytical and supervisory skills.
- Ability to build sound working relationships with direct reports while managing collective agreement requirements.
- Exposure to a noisy environment and outside weather conditions.
- Direct knowledge of WHMIS and other safety systems.
- Experience with bar code systems.
- Possess strong communication and written skills, both verbal and electronic.
- Proficient with MS Office products and web-based applications.
- Able to build an effective team and lead change.
- Possess excellent management and leadership skills and the ability to motivate and work with and through others to achieve desired results.
- Appreciates and understands the value of diversity within a team.
- Conflict resolution and negotiations skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bring a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities involving others.
- Experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Demonstrates ability to make mature and timely job site decision.